My Rocket IS Destroyed Followup..Should I Salvage.. Parts Interest

Ask yourself this simple question:
Take your personal interest of this particular bike out of the picture for the moment;
If you saw an R3 listed 'down the street' in exact same condition (salvage title plus damage) for exact same asking price - would you be interested in pursuing that so you could part it out to make some extra money?

I suspect the answer is probably 'no' - but I'll let you answer that for yourself :D

If you are looking to only market the small parts by shipment and the large parts (where the money is frankly) ONLY locally (with a quite limited market), then I would say it is not a rewarding enterprise.
But if you enjoy wrenching, don't mind the shipping aspect, or the intermediate storage aspect, then it could certainly be a good economic prospect; but don't look for immediate return on the initial investment of that $3K outlay

As usual, another good response and advice @DEcosse! That really has been my feeling all along, but I thought it would be worth my time to get some opinions. When I was younger I couldn't get the grease from underneath my fingernails, now I have no interest in it except for the things I need to do. I just want to move on and bring the new 2015 Rocket I bought to replace my totaled bike up to where I want it. I figure another 4 or 5 years of riding and I should hang it up anyway. That will put me up near 75 and in spite of being in good shape I'll be lucky if I can even hold the beast up. Thanks

This whole thing is a bummer. How are YOU doing ?

The question that comes to mind, is, "What is your time worth ?"

I am a hobby beekeeper. I steal (that is the proper term in the industry) their honey.

Sometimes I sell the honey to people who insist. I sell for $7 or $8 / lb, and I figure it costs me about $50/ lb when all is said and done -- so in effect -- it is a gift of sorts, and my time is totally discounted because it is a hobby.

From a business sense, I would suggest parting out the bike is not worth it. You have already listed some of the investment you will have to make from buying the salvage, renting a place, dealing with advertising and shipping, and so on. And it will take a long time. And you will be left with parts at the end, staring at them, no one seems to want, and asking yourself, when do I finally let go ?

If you are licking your lips (in the way that a woman's reproductive function seems FAR more interesting when she is your wife and is carrying your child) at the prospect of this opportunity to spend more time learning about the machine -- I would say "go for it!".

Back at you @Joesmoe. I hadn't read your post very carefully as I was getting ready to head to the bank to pay off my old bike, clear the title for the adjuster and arrange some money for my new bike. I am DOING well. After about a week most of the secondary bruises and pains had pretty much gone from these old bones. The left lower leg is not quite there yet, but I can walk on it normally with little or no pain. That said, it aches at night when I try to sleep and it is best not to to touch any of the bone area where it was crushed. Making progress and expecting to be close to good as new in another couple of weeks.

As for the bike...totaled and waiting to settle up with the insurance company this week I hope. I bought a New (kind of) R3T off eBay from a dealer down in Virginia. I need to go down and pick it up next week. The deal is... He bought the bike from Triumph on auction as they were trying to clear some of their old inventory off the books. According to the dealer, Triumph puts 25 miles or so on each bike so they have to be sold as used. This would prevent them from being part of The Endless Summer Voucher Program allowing $1,500 dollars in vouchers for "New" bikes that haven't been sold and titled from 2015 and earlier. The factory warranty period started in June when they did this, so I'll still be good for awhile unless I extend it. I got a real good deal I think for 11,920 plus a few bucks extra for charges. A new 2015 ABS R3T Cranberry Red and Black (Not my favorite color but I didn't want black). All said, I was very happy with my old bike and the setup. I wish it had never happened. I figure I am going to be out a few bucks when it is all said and done, but two years newer and starting out fresh is as good as it is going to get. Not going to do the salvage thing as I want it all over with. Thanks for asking....

Did you buy the 2015 from Dulles ? I could ride the bike up to you, or for sure, if you come down here to get it, you MUST let us know so we can have breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner.

Yup...I'll let you know as I plan a whirlwind trip. Do you know anything about the dealership?

Yes, both @Boog and I purchased our bikes from there.

They claimed at one point to be the biggest seller of Triumphs in the U.S., and when I bought mine, they certainly had a showroom full. They have since moved to the current location, and are trying to fill another void here in Northern Virginia - BMW motorcycles, and last time as was at their current location, the BMWs were all up front, and you had to wade through them to get to the the Triumphs in the back.

The head guy is Ken -- a nice guy though a salesman. They had had a challenge keeping any decent service and parts people, and have cut back from what I can tell on their inventory. They've been good to me in supplying the parts I've requested, including the pit shirts a year ago or so sent to @HansO for embroidery (and I note those same shirts were worn by the crew in the photos from the land speed record attempt).

Don't know what else to tell you -- happy to have you here and join you there -- whatever works for you.

When might we expect you ?

Yes, both @Boog and I purchased our bikes from there.

They claimed at one point to be the biggest seller of Triumphs in the U.S., and when I bought mine, they certainly had a showroom full. They have since moved to the current location, and are trying to fill another void here in Northern Virginia - BMW motorcycles, and last time as was at their current location, the BMWs were all up front, and you had to wade through them to get to the the Triumphs in the back.

The head guy is Ken -- a nice guy though a salesman. They had had a challenge keeping any decent service and parts people, and have cut back from what I can tell on their inventory. They've been good to me in supplying the parts I've requested, including the pit shirts a year ago or so sent to @HansO for embroidery (and I note those same shirts were worn by the crew in the photos from the land speed record attempt).

Don't know what else to tell you -- happy to have you here and join you there -- whatever works for you.

When might we expect you ?

Talked to Ken and he seemed nice and very up front...will let you know the plan.

He told me for the salvage value they have a bid of 3k with a salvage title, much higher than the 10-15% some of you discussed

Sorry for being inaccurate. That % was for autos. Didn't know figures for bikes. Was just throwing out different routes it could go.
If you come to a fork in the road. Take it ;)

just a thought maybe somebody would give u $4000 to make a racer out of it
not me i am 71.:) warp might want it give him a pm.

@Bedifferent do let us know when you are in town as I would like to meet you even if it is a quick hand shake.
Motorcycles of Dulles (MOD) have mostly been good for me and Brahma. I have had some issues with service this year but I think I am going to work that out. I learned a lot from @Speedy on the Mayberry trip and feel slightly smarter now.
I have seen the bike you bought and think it is a good looking color. When I was thinking Brahma was unreliable, that was the bike I was thinking of taking over. Luckily, Brahma is much better and I know more of what is needed to keep him that way.

just what would you sell this bike for if you bought it from insurance and sold it to a another outright

Back