The numbers he provides to set timing are the same, from memory .110 and .95 at TDC. So the opening ramp is identical, the difference might be peak lift and lift while on the shoulders of the cam may be higher, so a bigger cam once it's started opening.

Did you get the duration @ 1mm numbers when you installed yours?

I measured out:
259 @ 1mm intake
249 @ 1mm exhaust
.457 tappet lift intake peak
.412 tappet lift exhaust peak
111 LCA intake
112 LCA exhaust

Cam specs from the manufacturer which don't take into account valve clearances of .2 and .24 intake/exhaust respectively.

0.465 lift intake
268 duration intake at 0.04”
0.427 lift exhaust
258 duration exhaust at 0.04

The bigger valves and revised head porting are likely where a lot of the difference comes from. I know two for sure a small amount of head revision will change the R3 power output quite a bit.

Finally, there is a reason to get past 8k, which is why I'm using the raised limiter. To achieve 180mph on the salt you need the engine to be spinning at around 8200-8300 RPM because of wheel slip. To hit 200 you'd need to be at right under 9K. That's of course totally different on roads with less slip.
I didn’t get any specs with the cams when they were delivered. And I didn’t investigate while timing, other than timing them.

Also, Megacycles doesn’t list these cams in their catalog. Top secret ?

You need to call them. There are I think, 3 profiles at Megacycle with the BC prefix, 1 is exhaust, 1 is what I have for intake, 3rd is a smaller intake, I suspect used in the 210 kit.

One of the reasons I prefer the cams out of Australia, despite being more costly, is the use of billet blanks instead of regrinds. While the regrinds, to my knowledge, have not caused any probelms for captains, it's inherently a stronger cam, plus Neville's selection and knowledge of what to put in and how to time them is worldclass.

Last edited:
Cam will be coming sooner now, like, over the next week. Snapped a cam chain (I think, not totally sure yet).

So if I'm going in, I'm going to put in the better cam.

Confirmed Mufasa flexed and snapped the chain like a string:
20190720_202103.jpg

Yeah, it just suddenly died, no weird noises, no vibrations, but that doesn't mean anything. I'll find out soon.

I've never even heard of an R3 doing this before.

Luckily I was light throttle cruising straight ahead at 40mph so not a big safety issue. A little annoyed, it's the first time my bike has left me stranded (besides flat tires with nails, can't blame the bike for those).

Back