Motorcycle driver's test

Gee thanks Ray, but I think I'll be OK.
Thinking back, the most challenging maneuver in the test back in '75 was having to push the bike in a figure of 8. There was a braking test but it seemed mainly only to see if you could keep your balance when you stopped. We also had to do part of the ride using hand signals, because "not all bikes have blinkers and brake lights can stop working". Somewhat enlightened when you think about it.

I had been riding motor for many years when the license endorsement law came into law out here in WA State. I think around 1979.
Was ordered to ride my Electra Glide to the DOL for testing. Promptly complied with the order of my SGT and showed up and got in line with a bunch of nervos looking yo yos on various street bikes sitting there in the park lot.
The examiner sees me waiting there in line, in uniform astride my police motor and motions me over. One stamp and a signature and I was golden.

did my tests while conscripted in the french army had to learn about air brakes while learning truck driving army trucks were special animals, dumped 5 tons of coal on the road at an intersection once when mishandling the air dump lever in place of the brake lever and crushed several soft helmets on the figure 8 course (no red cones in them days ) with the 125 peugeot army issue bike. but got my bike , truck ,and bus license all in that army camp and rolled it over in the civilian license once released and that was more than a quarter century ago.

Took my test in 75' on a 70' 500 Kaw triple. License bureau was in a shopping plaza. They had me take a short written test. Example question "when approaching a stop sign you should" (A) Lock up the back tire. (B) Jump off. (C) Gently apply brakes to come to a controlled stop. Then we went outside. They had me go out of the parking lot, turn right at the stop light, then another right back into the parking lot. Was out of sight due to buildings for 3/4 of the time. I guess making it back was what they were concerned about :confused:

When Michigan instituted MC licenses in the early/mid 60s, I just had to sign an affidavit stating I had ridden over 10,000 mile and I was good to go. Always made sure to renew the MC endorsement ($5) when I renewed my dirvers' license even during my non-riding years so never had to take the test.

When I returned to riding after a 10+ year layoff, I took the MSF course & did the test on their Honda 125 & passed 100%. Glad I took the course. I sure wouldn't want to take the test on my R3R or Vic XCT but it would be a snap on the Bonnie or Sporty.

I agree with all the positive comments about the current training courses.

When I "had" to take the course in 2012; as on old rider from many years ago, I felt it would be a waste of time and money.

It turned out to be the best $250.00 I ever spent, as I learned a lot, and wouldn't have liked having to abuse my own bike (a Bonnie at that time) going through all the exercises they had us do.

Even with all my previous experience; it made me a better rider.

Rick

I agree with all the positive comments about the current training courses.

When I "had" to take the course in 2012; as on old rider from many years ago, I felt it would be a waste of time and money.

It turned out to be the best $250.00 I ever spent, as I learned a lot, and wouldn't have liked having to abuse my own bike (a Bonnie at that time) going through all the exercises they had us do.

Even with all my previous experience; it made me a better rider.

Rick
I agree, I had some bad riding habits they exposed, but it made me a better, and safer rider.

Back