Motorcycle driver's test

did my tests while conscripted in the french army had to learn about air brakes while learning truck driving army trucks were special animals, dumped 5 tons of coal on the road at an intersection once when mishandling the air dump lever in place of the brake lever and crushed several soft helmets on the figure 8 course (no red cones in them days ) with the 125 peugeot army issue bike. but got my bike , truck ,and bus license all in that army camp and rolled it over in the civilian license once released and that was more than a quarter century ago.

French Army, sure could use you as a translator here in Quebec. It is an adventure communicating:D

I had ridden for 10s of 1,000s of miles & many years but had never heard of countersteering until I took the course. I was probably doing it, but noe conciously.

A buddy of mine got an R3 a few years ago. He complained that it was such a beast to handle. I asked if he was countersteering. He said "what's that?".

He has a much easier time with his Rocket now.

Illinois has gotten serious about issuing Motorcycle lisence. in 1977 at 18 I took the big bike test on a yamaha 250. instructed to go down the street shift to 3rd gear turn around come back. in 06 on my 1200 sportster had to navigate offset cones spaced tight, hard turns accelerate, brake, etc. The course is painted in the lot so every bike I get I try and the R3 couldn't make the hard right turn and those cones are balance, clutch, and throttle and really tough to stay upright at less than a walking pace. I ran over the last cone but still passed. I used to say "if I can't pass the test on what I ride I shouldn't be riding it". I don't say that anymore.

Maybe that explains this mishap. ;)
I know we've all seen it before.....

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=38393

Mate,
Come on over here and I shall get you into the Motor Cop test course.
THEN you decide if they can't ride well. :D
I know you just be yanking my chain and it's cool with me - I'll get you back some time.
Besides, we ALL be stupid is as stupid does.
:laugh:

Illinois has gotten serious about issuing Motorcycle lisence. in 1977 at 18 I took the big bike test on a yamaha 250. instructed to go down the street shift to 3rd gear turn around come back. in 06 on my 1200 sportster had to navigate offset cones spaced tight, hard turns accelerate, brake, etc. The course is painted in the lot so every bike I get I try and the R3 couldn't make the hard right turn and those cones are balance, clutch, and throttle and really tough to stay upright at less than a walking pace. I ran over the last cone but still passed. I used to say "if I can't pass the test on what I ride I shouldn't be riding it". I don't say that anymore.

I sure agree with you. Here in WA we had three licensing levels based upon the cc of the motor (up to 250, up to 500 and anything).
Recently they removed the size restriction (meaning test on a moped, OK to ride a Rocket) and added one for trikes.
Real stupid in my opinion. One could be the Motor Cop Rodeo world champ or a professional racer and NOT be qualified to ride a fu*kin' trike!
Currently all our ride testing is done by the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation), using 250cc bikes. There are excellent advanced rider classes offered as well; but, not required.

Mate,
I know you just be yanking my chain and it's cool with me - I'll get you back some time.

Bull, Denver has the TOPGUN cop and civilian challenge each year (or at least did when I moved away) with a new bike as the prize. I watched the cops ride with their various HDs and a few with BMWs and saw the HDs outperform almost all the time. So, when the civilians got our chance, I just knew I could out do the civilian HDs on my VMax. Out of 45 bikes in the cruiser group, I placed tenth in the first round. One problem was the refs moved the cones in closer because my bike was smaller than the HDs. Another problem was my VMax was taller than the HDs. In the final round I still got tenth and finally figured it out. All of the HD guys would put their bikes on the frame in their turns and I couldn’t do that on the VMax without it going over. And, many of the cones for me were spaced within a half inch of my exhaust width thus I would hit them and lose points. I had fun though and learned a lot. Learned enough to know that I can’t challenge them on my R3 either, not on that course anyway…

Mate,

Yankin' I was. ;)
I recall another clip of a cop riding a Harley round a tight cone course that had my jaw hanging open in awe.

I have no doubt you'll get me back - and then it will be my turn again.......:D

Last edited:
Yankin' I was. ;)
I recall another clip of a cop riding a Harley round a tight cone course that had my jaw hanging open in awe.

I have no doubt you'll get me back - and then it will be my turn again.......:D

Ya know, Mate, I like the idea of you looking over your shoulder.:thumbsup:
"Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves."
Brendan Behan

Back