Avons are good, especially on the front. Great grip on the rear too and I got 50% better mileage over Metz. My only issue with the 240 tyre was loss of traction on acceleration and braking in the wet, but not noticably worse than Metz in that regard, so overall a much better option.

I've subsequently gone to the 240/55 Bridgestone Exedra Max on the back (same tyre they put on the M109C) and feel that it's head and shoulders a better option than the other 2. The higher profile, I find, suits the Rocket perfectly and I'm getting 50% better mileage than I got from Avon. Grip, ride, everything is better.

On the front I'm currently running Bridgestone as well but think I'll go back to Avon for my next one, unless I want to drop a size and try the Michelin Commander. No real issues with the Bridgestone except I a little skeptical about mileage and I was very happy with Avon.

Plenty of separate threads discussing this.

Avons are good, especially on the front. Great grip on the rear too and I got 50% better mileage over Metz. My only issue with the 240 tyre was loss of traction on acceleration and braking in the wet, but not noticably worse than Metz in that regard, so overall a much better option.

I've subsequently gone to the 240/55 Bridgestone Exedra Max on the back (same tyre they put on the M109C) and feel that it's head and shoulders a better option than the other 2. The higher profile, I find, suits the Rocket perfectly and I'm getting 50% better mileage than I got from Avon. Grip, ride, everything is better.

On the front I'm currently running Bridgestone as well but think I'll go back to Avon for my next one, unless I want to drop a size and try the Michelin Commander. No real issues with the Bridgestone except I a little skeptical about mileage and I was very happy with Avon.

Plenty of separate threads discussing this.
I have ordered a michie for when I get home I will be getting near to needing a new one before I head to Phillip Island

Hello everyone, I hope I can get a response here without starting a new thread on such a small matter. My second hand 2005 rocket 3 that I've been riding around for a year now on Metzeler ME880s. It badly needs a new front tire and both my mechanic & dealer says that there are no Metzeler front tyres in stock in the country at all.. my mechanic suggested replacing just the front tyre with an Avon.
I remember reading in some places that tires brands and types should not be mixed, is this true? I'm hoping I can get some guidance here. Is it alright to change the front tyre to an Avon while keeping the rear as a Metzeler?

And isn't it strange that they both didn't wear out at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

My rear always wears out before the front. I can't really help you, as yes, the conventional wisdom is that you do not mix tires. That being said, some combinations are probably better or worse than others, some people here run different tires front and back, and seem happy with the combination.

Hello everyone, I hope I can get a response here without starting a new thread on such a small matter. My second hand 2005 rocket 3 that I've been riding around for a year now on Metzeler ME880s. It badly needs a new front tire and both my mechanic & dealer says that there are no Metzeler front tyres in stock in the country at all.. my mechanic suggested replacing just the front tyre with an Avon.
I remember reading in some places that tires brands and types should not be mixed, is this true? I'm hoping I can get some guidance here. Is it alright to change the front tyre to an Avon while keeping the rear as a Metzeler?

And isn't it strange that they both didn't wear out at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

no problem there mate you can mix breeds no problem just not tire types ie bias ply bias belted radial ply etc or so ive been told. go ahead and stick the avon cobra on the front. I run avon on the front and bridgestone exedra max on the rear of mine.

Put the Avon on the front now and when you need a rear, go for a Bridgestone Exedra Max. The Bridgestone should be readily available as it's standard fitment on a Suzuki C109. Mixing brands is fine, just don't mix bias ply and radial.

Thank you for the reply! I guess I might just try it out and see what happens!

My rear always wears out before the front. I can't really help you, as yes, the conventional wisdom is that you do not mix tires. That being said, some combinations are probably better or worse than others, some people here run different tires front and back, and seem happy with the combination.

Here's my 2bobs worth on my metric cruzier i have bridgestones and would normaly get 25 thou k's or their abouts in the dry they were brilliant in the wet i took it easy.The metzlers that were on my rocket tourer only got 13 thou k's approx because of the apparent wear difference i decided too try the bridgestones on the rocket so i hope to get a good run out of them

Back