Madstad Windshield

i gave u the wrong measurement
simple just measure balls to balls and subtract 1 inch :roll: :roll:

Herman,
My balls lay on the seat, so why change the 2" to 1"?
Your methodology does not account for the riders distance to the shield, which is different bike to bike and rider to rider.

Increase in turbulence? I did not have anything on the bike before so turbulence went down (not to be a smart ass). I have found that any windscreen without lowers only does so much. The lowers keep a lot of wind off that otherwise flows in and gets you. Highway speed with the road screen on yes you get some but not bad and actually in the summer it is what I want the rocket is not a cool bike to ride when it is hot out. Put the lowers on and hardly any turbulence but they do look a little stupid or just not the greatest look. The fly screen you will get a lot of wind in your upper chest and head but it will keep you from feeling like you are getting pulled off of the bike. If it is super cold 25f or less for riding I get in my car as there is no turbulence unless the windows are down.
Thanks. That tells me what I need to know. Clean air with no windshield is relatively quiet an pain free with a good helmet. I have found that with many windshields you are better off without them than with them, because after you put them on the clean air is replaced by turbulent air that beats your head back and forth and hurts your ears. The feedback is much appreciated. I think that since I just found out the guy in the UK has another order of the XL fly screens coming in, I might just wait for one of those to try. Quite a bit cheaper than the Madstad route.

Thanks. That tells me what I need to know. Clean air with no windshield is relatively quiet an pain free with a good helmet. I have found that with many windshields you are better off without them than with them, because after you put them on the clean air is replaced by turbulent air that beats your head back and forth and hurts your ears. The feedback is much appreciated. I think that since I just found out the guy in the UK has another order of the XL fly screens coming in, I might just wait for one of those to try. Quite a bit cheaper than the Madstad route.
I have found what works for me. On my fjr it has an electric adjustable screen so that is really the best way. I think in general bikes look much better without any windscreens or fairings but I ride all year or most of it and no screen is no bueno when it is cold out. I wear a full face helmet but hate the visor down unless absolutely needed (feel like I am in a car then). On the rocket I like the choice of nothing, fly screen, highway screen or highway screen with lowers (which I carry the lowers in a saddle bag). I ride enough to see the bikes come out and then go back in again as the weather changes, don't like being in a car.

Herman,
My balls lay on the seat, so why change the 2" to 1"?
Your methodology does not account for the riders distance to the shield, which is different bike to bike and rider to rider.
I'm really confused now, people use a ruler to measure balls? I've always used a scale...

For any adjustable windscreen, I've always just rode at speed and adjusted to what felt right.

My 2 cents, Post #4 has it right:
the screen should be short enough so in your normal riding posture you can see over the top,
and not have to look thru it.
To predict it requires height of the new screen relative to your current screen.
Clearview and other vendors give that info, usually relative to the Triumph tall screen.

I'm really confused now, people use a ruler to measure balls? I've always used a scale...

For any adjustable windscreen, I've always just rode at speed and adjusted to what felt right.

Boogie,
Just FYI - On the level, I measure 50 feet forward of the forward edge of the front tire and place a marker (usually a rock) on the surface. I sit the bike as heavily as possible and then mark where my site-line to the marker intersects the shield. This is will be the top of the shield. This system incorporates seat and rider heights as well as the shield location relative to that rider. It will allow air flow over your helmet, reducing neck fatigue, and it provides open, clear, vision of the roadway ahead over the shield.

Back