Looking for good custom seat for Rocket 3 Custom

I have tried pads in Sheepskin, air, gel and all have their plus/minus points. I find AirHawk and other air solutions fiddly - they need some form of external adjustment as they are very temp sensitive. And frankly I felt no real benefit. 2 hours riding and the air pressure will have changed - here certainly. Sheepskin can leave you with very sweaty nether regions in summer and are downright painful when wet. Gel need to be at least 3/4" thick to protect the Ischia correctly - I use 1.5". But gel can get very hot if allowed to heat in direct sun.

One of the best solutions I have seen is actually fairly cheap - it is a sort of 3D mesh seat cover. It adds some springing, spreads weight and generates airflow around your bottom. I use it over the Gel - which I inserted myself into the seat foam.

I now use a less industrial form of this 3D mesh for my "office" chair. It's used for Wheelchair users so is designed for longer term sitting. The company I bought mine from now does a "less industrial" 3D mesh pad for bikes - but I have never tried one. Treat Lite2 Motorcycle Comfort Seating – Dan Medica South Ltd But if I was starting from scratch - it is where I would now start. Postage from the UK is a bit high imo (I get them delivered to my mum and collect when I am home).

@1K9 makes an interesting point about ones buttocks. I find that wearing proper HEAVY leather bike pants (which are by nature a little constrictive) holds my saggy chair-bound bottom in a better shape. More endurance on the seat.

You should be able to take your seat into any good automotive trimmers and have it custom padded and shaped to fit you, raised, lowered reshaped, memory foam etc.

Over here there's a company called McDonald Motor Trimmers

Upholstery Tauranga BOP car upholstery seat covers Bay of Plenty

These guys have done two bikes for me and make a world of difference. My Speed Triple used to hurt after about and hour, after rebuilt was 2 to 3 hours before you felt like getting off.

There will be places like this overseas I'm sure.

I use the beaded seat cover and sheepskin together. Either one alone just doesn't do it for me. The beads are hard on the butt, and the sheepskin is hot, but together they are comfortable and cool in the summer. The ventilation around the beads keeps from getting sweaty. I find the pants make somewhat a a difference too, heavier the better to distribute the butt force.

Hoopla

I use russell day long on almost evey bike I've had or have. After trying many brands i prefer them for 6- 10 hr days

Attachments

• 20171018_092625.jpg
    20171018_092625.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 19
Back