Looking for good custom seat for Rocket 3 Custom

Mike Gudeman

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket 3
I have an 06 Rocket # Custom that i recently purchased, the stock seat is very uncomfortable, i take long trips and need something good without spending a thousand dollars. Anyone have suggestions, other than Mustang and Corbin, which are both very expensive.I had an Ultimate on my last bike, i loved it, but they don't make them for Triumphs. TYA

I have had the Triumph Long Haul seat, stock seat, Corbin, self modified Long Haul and now pro customized long haul. I've spent the thousands you are trying to avoid and custom is the best option. If you can sit on a church pew for hours on end, then Corbin is the seat for you. I couldn't last 20 minutes on one. You can add a pad, they work for the most part. But you'll be fiddling with it all the time and they look horrible. There are many different ways to customize your seat and many places to get it done. Nothing cheap unless you do it yourself.

To me the stock seat on my 07 was an abomination and only an Airhawk that that a friend, one who owned Titletown Cycles in Green Bay, got me home. I called him when I was 100 miles south of Chicago and told him of my misery. He ordered one and it got me home.

You don't have to spend thousands unless, like Zonechamp did, went through a few seats on his way to discovering what was best for him. To my knowledge, Mustang doesn't make a seat for the Rocket. Corbins are hard at first and not for everyone but I've had three and like them. A good custom or aftermarket seat seat should cost you in the range of $500 to $900 depending on options.

Foam type is the key. Below is an excerpt from an article I wrote years ago about custom seats and my visits to a number of seat builders over the years, to include Corbin, Rick Mayer, Russel, and Rich's in Kingston, WA to educate myself on them. Bill Mayer, Danny Gray and Laam are some other recognized seat builders.

"I learned that some of the foam types used in MC seats are, open cell rebound foam, closed cell foams to include polyethylene and mini-cell, closed cell neoprene (kind of a spongy rubber), open cell polyurethane (comes in many different densities) and of course gels and memory foams. One will also hear the term “dual density” when describing foams but more often foam densities are measured in pounds."

Foams used in stock seats are generally not the best, resulting in hot spots that can torment the rider as most of us learned with our Rockets. You might want to take your time and investigate what type of foams different builders use before making a decision. Some riders like gel pads though and others find that just a good piece of sheepskin does the trick so you might consider low cost options first. You can get a gel pad wrapped in sheepskin. I have one that came with my Touring and it seems pretty comfortable.

Last edited:
Airhawk and a Utopia back rest works for me.

Looks like the Russell day long seat would be the ticket for the Roadsters. Kind of funny looking with the additional "wings" on each side of the seat... but sure looks comfortable.

@Navigator Mike,
How long ago did Rich move out of Seattle?

It was quite a few years ago Steve.I rode my 07 Rocket over for the grand opening but got there late when the event was over and they were closing. Rich walked out and asked me about my Rocket and we chatted a bit before I knew who he was. He took me inside and asked his daughter to show me around. He's got quite the place; two story, living quarters, camping out back etc., for those who want to ride in and stay overnight while he builds the seat.

We need to ride over there in the spring or if we get a decent day before then. It's pretty cool.

It was quite a few years ago Steve.I rode my 07 Rocket over for the grand opening but got there late when the event was over and they were closing. Rich walked out and asked me about my Rocket and we chatted a bit before I knew who he was. He took me inside and asked his daughter to show me around. He's got quite the place; two story, living quarters, camping out back etc., for those who want to ride in and stay overnight while he builds the seat.

We need to ride over there in the spring or if we get a decent day before then. It's pretty cool.

You're on, Amigo!
Met him & had a great discussion at a International Bike Show in Seattle like 8 years ago.
I have an extra seat now and am looking for a re-make on my original.

I have an 06 Rocket # Custom that i recently purchased, the stock seat is very uncomfortable, i take long trips and need something good without spending a thousand dollars. Anyone have suggestions, other than Mustang and Corbin, which are both very expensive.I had an Ultimate on my last bike, i loved it, but they don't make them for Triumphs. TYA

My bike came with an original two piece and a Dual seat with back rest. Tried gel cushions, memory foam cushion. Went back to the plain seat. Would like to try the Beaded seats. You can find original dualies for 200$. Little more with back rest.

Option 2, exercise the buttocks' :laugh:.

Back