Leaking rear drive - the saga continues......

It smells like gear oil apparently, so my 14yo son tells me!
Checked under the rubber boots at the engine end of the shaft tube and no oil so that's one thing.

Had a real good look and it seemed like the leak may have been a rally slow weep from the drain plug.
It had a badly fitted copper washer under it.
Removed, drained and used a fibre sump washer for sealing, re filled and we will see.

Maybe that is all it was.

It smells like gear oil apparently, so my 14yo son tells me!
Checked under the rubber boots at the engine end of the shaft tube and no oil so that's one thing.

Had a real good look and it seemed like the leak may have been a rally slow weep from the drain plug.
It had a badly fitted copper washer under it.
Removed, drained and used a fibre sump washer for sealing, re filled and we will see.

Maybe that is all it was.
I just renewed the oil in the box and did not see a gasket on the drain plug (or filler plug for that matter). Did I miss something?

No, there is not meant to be one.
Mine had it, don't know why.

Well, still a leak.
From checking it out I thought it may have been a slow weep past the drain plug, but no.
I think the second hand replacement unit will be the way to go.
I need my bike every day so pulling apart the installed unit and locating and fitting parts is not really an option.

Yes, arrived Tuesday so I am hoping to get it swapped over this weekend.
Then I can stop cleaning the rear wheel, I hope.
And I will have a spare to get sorted!

And Peter, you may have got some parts from the same bike?

Yeah, just the most exclusively 'X' bit of all - the fuel sender, filter and pump assembly. ;):D:unsure:

If there is a carcass I'll pick it!

Back