Leaking rear drive - the saga continues......

GaryA

Supercharged
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Allrighty, I am still getting a leak onto the rear wheel.
Seems to be from the bevel box rear drive unit, dripping out of the small rectangular opening in the plastic cover.
It is not constant, clean it up and its okay for a day or so, then some leaks.
Then it stops and starts leaking again.

I am nearly out of ideas.

Drained and refiled and it had the correct amount of gear oil.

One thought I just had, what stops the engine oil from running back in the outer shaft?
And if it did could it collect in the lower of the final drive cover then leak out?

I am trying what I can so I do not have to buy another rear drive unit, but its looking like I might have to.

Allrighty, I am still getting a leak onto the rear wheel.
Seems to be from the bevel box rear drive unit, dripping out of the small rectangular opening in the plastic cover.
It is not constant, clean it up and its okay for a day or so, then some leaks.
Then it stops and starts leaking again.

I am nearly out of ideas.

Drained and refiled and it had the correct amount of gear oil.

One thought I just had, what stops the engine oil from running back in the outer shaft?
And if it did could it collect in the lower of the final drive cover then leak out?

I am trying what I can so I do not have to buy another rear drive unit, but its looking like I might have to.
Try prying the rubber cover (rear of motor to Drive shaft) and see if there is oil in there. It is tight going but possible. That will tell you if any engine oil is getting past the sealed bearing in the cover.

Try prying the rubber cover (rear of motor to Drive shaft) and see if there is oil in there. It is tight going but possible. That will tell you if any engine oil is getting past the sealed bearing in the cover.
Jake,
I will have a look at that, thanks for the info.
I can not help thinking that maybe it is not the gear oil leaking, maybe!

It's not impossible but I'd be extremely surprised if you were getting engine oil down there.

I think when the bike shop changed the seal they used a seal from a bearing supply place, rather than try and get the genuine triumph one.

I would be very surprised as well, but I am clutching at straws.
loosen the 4 bolts and remove the wheel, then you will know if the oil is coming from the engine.
Also the oil in the final drive will be smelly - more so than the engine oil.

A definite place the oil is leaking from would be good.
As for smelly, I have no sense of smell, have to get the missus to, smell this

Back