K&N RU 1700s

The RU 1700s were very snug on the throttle bodies. The 2780s would probably be a good fit. I don't think there will be much of an issue of flow is there are 3.

Here are flow rates for various K&N filters I got from Leon Collins at K&N. The values are in cfm @ 1.5" water.

RU-2780 191 x 3 = 573
RU-1700 263 x 3 = 789
RC-1250 207 x 3 = 621

TB-2204 (under seat) = 680

The under-seat filter is going to have some restriction due to the under-tank manifold and the manifold built into the seat. The first thing anyone with a stock seat should do is drill out the rivets that hold the seat manifold to the seat pan and junk it.

Well I got the 2780s to work under the bearclaw and without removing the overflow tank. The intake sounds nice when revving. Time will tell if I will have to remap the fueling.

Hey Dougl, if the total inlet area of the "seat pan" allows as much flow as the manifold inlet area, maybe there is not an issue, right? After all, the air flow is still restricted by the 70 some mm diameter area of the manifold tube. So is removing the seat pan of any value?

Just a thought.

rusty said:
Hey Dougl, if the total inlet area of the "seat pan" allows as much flow as the manifold inlet area, maybe there is not an issue, right? After all, the air flow is still restricted by the 70 some mm diameter area of the manifold tube. So is removing the seat pan of any value?

Just a thought.

Remember, there's friction and turbulence all along the path to the throttle bodies.

Take the seat off and look at it. There are 3 small holes on each side of the back part under the seat. This leads to two narrow conduits to the hole that fits over the filter. Getting rid of this THING has to allow easier access to air. What's up with pulling in air from behind the seat? I would think the pressure is lower towards the rear of the bike, although I realize that the bike is probably pulling air along with it. I don't get this design. If anything, you want to ram air in, not pull it in from behind. At least let the air come in from all around the base of the seat, not just through 3 small holes.

Analysis well thought out Dougl. Maybe the application of the seat pan allowing "breathing" from behind & under the seat assures there is little or no moisture drawn in during Rocketing through "very wet" outerspace.

Grab a handful of "this" & away we go, with no possibility of return.

See ya Dougl

Last edited:
rusty said:
Analysis well thought out Dougl. Maybe the application of the seat pan allowing "breathing" from behind & under the seat assures there is little or no moisture is drawn in during Rocketing through "very wet" outerspace.

Grab a handful of "this" & away we go, with no possibility of return.

See ya Dougl

Well, as suggested by Dragonturd, if you have a stock seat, drill those rivets out and take off the seat manifold. Drop in a K&N TB-2204 under seat.

Won't have time to experience that cause I've already ordered the RU5111 under the tank version. I like that "glove box" result you get also. Great for storing the tire repair kit and a few extra specific tools that aren't provided by Triumph.

See ya round!

Hondax said:
Dougl has presented use with a poor man's "cold air intake" or maybe more accurately,a "ram air" intake.
I must try,.....have need for speed.....:cool:
Actually, Dragoneye and others suggested it a long time ago. I have a Corbin seat so the stock seat intake is irrelevant. BTW, if you don't have performance exhaust, including cat bypass, and Tuneboy elimination of the secondaries restriction, this filter stuff isn't going to buy you a lot of additional power.

Last edited:
Back