Just installed Rivco center stand. Big Pain!!

azccj

.020 Over
And my advice to anyone else thinking about getting one is be prepared to fight to get it on and invest in a good grinder.

This is what Rivco posts on it's website in reference to the R3 center stand:

Bolts directly to the frame in minutes without any cutting or welding required, will not interfere with cornering or ground clearance. Machined and laser cut to exact tolerances,

What a bunch of crap that is. It does bolt directly to the frame but be prepared to grind that frame to make it fit.

It does take "minutes" to install the thing, about 180 of them to make it fit right.

"Will not interfere with cornering or ground clearance." I doubt that because it looks like it will hit the ground before the floorboards do.

"Machined and laser cut to exact tolerances." Maybe so, but to fit what bike? Not the R3 that I got from Triumph.

The devil himself must have partnered up with Rivco to design this center stand. It was a major pain getting it to fit, much grinding and swearing but I finally got it on.

Now for the good news. It does work. I have no trouble getting my R3 on the center stand. Just step on the foot lever while I pull on my left rear dresser bar and up it comes. The chrome is first rate and it doesn’t look all that bad bolted to my R3 classic tourer but don’t think it would look right on a stripped down bike.

So in the end it does work as advertised just be prepared for the trouble of getting it to fit. Is it worth $340.00 considering how difficult it is to install? Probably not.

Thanks for the Heads Up

Several of us were interested when Rivco first introduced the center stand. Looked great in the promo shots. Our major concern was how do you get it up on the stand when you've got Corbin Beetlebags and no rear dresser bars to lift.

Now I'm glad I waited since I don't have a grinder or skills to operate on properly.

I hope you'll notify Rivco of the problem and express the same frustration you did in your post on the forum. I also hope you'll request a response from them. I'd like to see what they have to say about it.

Let us know if they do respond.

I've been "less than happy" with a few of the Rivco purchases I've made. Not enough info in the installation instructions, not as good a quality product as advertised and nothing is said by Rivco about the potential "pain in the buttness" of the whole package.

I say, give 'em what for, just as I did about the Rivco risers.

See ya.

And my advice to anyone else thinking about getting one is be prepared to fight to get it on and invest in a good grinder.

This is what Rivco posts on it's website in reference to the R3 center stand:

Bolts directly to the frame in minutes without any cutting or welding required, will not interfere with cornering or ground clearance. Machined and laser cut to exact tolerances,

What a bunch of crap that is. It does bolt directly to the frame but be prepared to grind that frame to make it fit.

It does take "minutes" to install the thing, about 180 of them to make it fit right.

"Will not interfere with cornering or ground clearance." I doubt that because it looks like it will hit the ground before the floorboards do.

"Machined and laser cut to exact tolerances." Maybe so, but to fit what bike? Not the R3 that I got from Triumph.

The devil himself must have partnered up with Rivco to design this center stand. It was a major pain getting it to fit, much grinding and swearing but I finally got it on.

Now for the good news. It does work. I have no trouble getting my R3 on the center stand. Just step on the foot lever while I pull on my left rear dresser bar and up it comes. The chrome is first rate and it doesn’t look all that bad bolted to my R3 classic tourer but don’t think it would look right on a stripped down bike.

So in the end it does work as advertised just be prepared for the trouble of getting it to fit. Is it worth $340.00 considering how difficult it is to install? Probably not.

I got one when they came out. It didn't fit on the left side. I didn't feel like cutting it so I returned it.

Crap

If people keep buying crap the aftermarket will keep making crap..Period..BJC Azccj, Thanks for the heads up..

Rivco or Triumph??

I'm thinking they don't fit well because of the manufacturing tolerances at Triumph, not Rivco. Triumph uses the lower mounting boss (one on each side of the lower rear frame section) to fixture the bike on the assembly line with a through pin. if the bosses aren't welded with uniform spacing the Rivco stand won't fit and that's probably why Triumph makes the center stand for the Bonnie (which uses the same boss arrangement) with a set of spacers included. If Rivco's test horse (the one they made the stand for) bosses were off a little, then the center stand will be ill fitting. That's not Rivco's fault, that poor manufacturing quality on triumph's part. We all know about that, right|?

I'm thinking they don't fit well because of the manufacturing tolerances at Triumph, not Rivco. Triumph uses the lower mounting boss (one on each side of the lower rear frame section) to fixture the bike on the assembly line with a through pin. if the bosses aren't welded with uniform spacing the Rivco stand won't fit and that's probably why Triumph makes the center stand for the Bonnie (which uses the same boss arrangement) with a set of spacers included. If Rivco's test horse (the one they made the stand for) bosses were off a little, then the center stand will be ill fitting. That's not Rivco's fault, that poor manufacturing quality on triumph's part. We all know about that, right|?

Is the mounting boss the hollow round post on the underside of the engine?

Is the mounting boss the hollow round post on the underside of the engine?

It's these..........................

Attachments

• MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 213
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 249
Here are the lugs on the Bonneville............

This is where I had a problem with the Rocket.

There's not enough room between that round post on the engine and the frame to accommodate the center stand - So the holes in the frame and the holes on the center stand didn't line up.

Back