intermittent fuel issues

I got it sorted in the end, cost me £4 and turned out to be the vacuum pipes, one had split and the air fuel wasnt mixing right
That was an inexpensive fix. Glad you got it sorted. My other two bikes are a 1970 Bonneville and a 1974 Trident. The Bonneville is my favorite. Not fast but stone ax simple to work on!

Hi guys i have had a look around the forums and cant find the answers that im looking for so i thought i would post this thread and see if anyone can stop me scratching my fingers into my head. i have a rocket 3 classic 2007 which i have only owned for 5 weeks. stupidly as i really wanted it i bought it sold as seen without any warranty. anyway it ran great for 2 weeks until the low petrol light came on then it started riding like a bag of nuts. intermittent high idle, losing power whilst throttling followed by surge of acceleration and at other times when stopping in first gear the revs dropping to almost a stall. initially i thought that i may have sucked some rubbish into the fuel filter and it had become blocked so i took it to a garage and had new filter put in. he told me that there was a lot of crap in the tank and could have been the issue. he checked all the lines and no signs of anything else. i leave the garage and same problems so start thinking ill look at all the basics. the plugs were changed in June this year so its not that, it had a new tps in march this year so its not that either. i put redex in it which seemed to help for a day but then back to usual grumpy self and bought some 5 in 1 engine cleaner and again it seemed to help for a bit but then back to running on nuts. what i have noticed is when its running rough if i rev it in neutral to the top of throttle it will blow some black smoke out the back then after 3 full blasts of throttle that seems to stop the smoke and runs ok for a bit before running rough again and at times (im guessing when it smokes) i get a really strong smell of petrol. im running out of ideas as to what else it can be. the gasket on the rocker cover is leaking so im going to replace that at the weekend, anything else i should be looking at whilst i have the tank off? there is no engine management light on either so i don't know what it ii. it does have KN air filters which i have a receipt for (as part service history with bike) but i don't have any receipts for a remap and dont know if this has been done but i would have thought that would have caused it to happen every time rather than intermittently. any suggestions would be gratefully received or im gonna swap it for a Vespa!! :)
I had the same problem with my 06 classic. Spent 2000.00$ with 2differant dealers. While working on my driving lights with tank up,i moved some wires and bike stalled. Took all connectors apart and cleaned,dielectric grease on pins and plugged back in. Problem seems to have been solved??

Back