intermittent fuel issues

I can always reroute pipe if wrong, going through 12 min tune now, a bit lumpy still but hoping that will settle then I'll take her for a run and see how she goes

Well guys after much help from you, I've took the top apart, put it back together, she fired up first time for a 12min tune and then a couple of mile ride and appears happy. Got back and quite happy to sit at 800rpm with only slight variation whereas before your help she was running awful, long may she stay like that. Thankyou to every one for your help especially R-III-turbo and jvheli, couldn't have done it without you guys, thankyou

Yeah that's close enough, as long as they are not pinched or kinked anywhere and terminate open ended where you don't mind a drop of petrol possibly dripping out.

Am very interested to see how she runs now the TPS / ISCV was adjusted into spec.

Yeah that's close enough, as long as they are not pinched or kinked anywhere and terminate open ended where you don't mind a drop of petrol possibly dripping out.

Am very interested to see how she runs now the TPS / ISCV was adjusted into spec.
I'll keep you posted

Oh I see you've already done that. No probs dude. That's what we're here for.
Definitely the TPS not being set correctly when installed was your issue (as long as it stays this way...)

Wrt the slight variation on idle- not a big deal. Did you balance the throttles after?

Oh I see you've already done that. No probs dude. That's what we're here for.
Definitely the TPS not being set correctly when installed was your issue (as long as it stays this way...)

Wrt the slight variation on idle- not a big deal. Did you balance the throttles after?
Oh forgot about that, that's a job for the morning, then if its nice I'll take it for decent run

Just an update a week on, bike has been running great since vac pipes done, checked tps and was slightly out as was stepper so readjusted and sorted cam gasket as it was leaking. Checked throttle boddies 2# is at 620 1# 610 and 3# fluctuates between 600 and 610, do I need to take tank off and adjust or would you leave as is. Like I say she is now a pleasure to ride, and honestly couldn't have done without u guys

Wouldn't bother going at it now for that slight imbalance. Time to ride!
And now you have TuneECU you can periodically check in on these things.

Hi guys i have had a look around the forums and cant find the answers that im looking for so i thought i would post this thread and see if anyone can stop me scratching my fingers into my head. i have a rocket 3 classic 2007 which i have only owned for 5 weeks. stupidly as i really wanted it i bought it sold as seen without any warranty. anyway it ran great for 2 weeks until the low petrol light came on then it started riding like a bag of nuts. intermittent high idle, losing power whilst throttling followed by surge of acceleration and at other times when stopping in first gear the revs dropping to almost a stall. initially i thought that i may have sucked some rubbish into the fuel filter and it had become blocked so i took it to a garage and had new filter put in. he told me that there was a lot of crap in the tank and could have been the issue. he checked all the lines and no signs of anything else. i leave the garage and same problems so start thinking ill look at all the basics. the plugs were changed in June this year so its not that, it had a new tps in march this year so its not that either. i put redex in it which seemed to help for a day but then back to usual grumpy self and bought some 5 in 1 engine cleaner and again it seemed to help for a bit but then back to running on nuts. what i have noticed is when its running rough if i rev it in neutral to the top of throttle it will blow some black smoke out the back then after 3 full blasts of throttle that seems to stop the smoke and runs ok for a bit before running rough again and at times (im guessing when it smokes) i get a really strong smell of petrol. im running out of ideas as to what else it can be. the gasket on the rocker cover is leaking so im going to replace that at the weekend, anything else i should be looking at whilst i have the tank off? there is no engine management light on either so i don't know what it ii. it does have KN air filters which i have a receipt for (as part service history with bike) but i don't have any receipts for a remap and dont know if this has been done but i would have thought that would have caused it to happen every time rather than intermittently. any suggestions would be gratefully received or im gonna swap it for a Vespa!! :)
Clean the fuel system including the injectors. I poured a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner into to a tank of gas and ran that until the gas light came on. Also check the battery voltage with the engine running. Should be 13.8 to 14 volts. Computers can do stranger things when they don't get enough juice.

Clean the fuel system including the injectors. I poured a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner into to a tank of gas and ran that until the gas light came on. Also check the battery voltage with the engine running. Should be 13.8 to 14 volts. Computers can do stranger things when they don't get enough juice.
I got it sorted in the end, cost me £4 and turned out to be the vacuum pipes, one had split and the air fuel wasnt mixing right

Back