Install Stebel Nautilus air horn how to (another one)

Nice one! I've been thinking of adding one also but have been busy with other stuff. Can't put it behind either side panel either, the PDM60 is on the left and various other crap like resistors are now on the right.

But at least you used a relay, there was someone else here who wired one to the original horn cables and called it a day, which is kind of mad considering the 20 amps these things suck down. Without a relay the switchcube on the handlebars will take a beating.

Don't use it that often because of its full effect. Almost need a mini toot function on it :)

Screaming Banshee - Loud Motorcycle Horns and Safety Systems retains the stock horn in the system. Brief toot - stock horn. Hold the button down for more than a fraction of a second: air horn kicks in.

Nice one! I've been thinking of adding one also but have been busy with other stuff. Can't put it behind either side panel either, the PDM60 is on the left and various other crap like resistors are now on the right.

But at least you used a relay, there was someone else here who wired one to the original horn cables and called it a day, which is kind of mad considering the 20 amps these things suck down. Without a relay the switchcube on the handlebars will take a beating.

Screaming Banshee - Loud Motorcycle Horns and Safety Systems retains the stock horn in the system. Brief toot - stock horn. Hold the button down for more than a fraction of a second: air horn kicks in.
Yeah relay and double fuse block of a 3a and 20a. Thanks for the link but of course I won't be changing it again any time soon Haha! People will just have to suffer being air horned for minor offences ;)

You can buy just the electronic box that does the horn management, you don't have to buy the whole set with horn and all. The controller only is $50.

Control Systems

You can buy just the electronic box that does the horn management, you don't have to buy the whole set with horn and all. The controller only is $50.

Control Systems
Ah I see, I'll have to see if it'd fit into how we wired the Stebel in. Thanks for the info! Something to read during lunch tomorrow :)

While I was doing my switch relocate I took advantage of the disassembly to install a Stebel (which I do on all my motorcycles) as I like to see cagers pee their pants when they get too close because they are texting and driving... The stock horn is about as wimpy as it gets. A bike like this with a horn that should be in a baby crib? Nah.. Stebel.

I didn't do anything that isn't already out there, but took a few pics and thought I'd share. First, clearly you have to get rid of the smog can under the left side cover. This eliminates so much stuff, you just need to do it as it makes you feel better. On my Roadster there were two metal tabs to the right of the stock relays, where I presume the Touring model mounts more relays for more stuff. Anyway, I cut those two tabs down to give me a nice little bracket to hang the stebel perfectly vertical. Sweet!

I mounted the relay on the rail (shown) just where the old air intake turned. Nice hole there to bolt to, no drilling necessary.

Power. If you pull the plastic cover off from in front of the left side plate there are a bunch of wires hooked to a bracket. One of those wires is an empty plug with a purple and black wire. That is your heated grips plug. If like me, I don't have heated grips, so it is a handy, fused, power source ready to tap into for your relay. The grips use a 10A fuse, the Stebel needs a 20A fuse... Pull the plugs off your stock horn and plug directly into the two activation studs on the relay and you're home free. 130db baby!

John
I don't understand what you mean by remove smog can under the left side cover. I have this airhorn but don't understand what component is be getting rid of to fit it here.

Wonder if it could be additionally improved by slotting the side cover. to let more noise out. I'd get an aftermarket fibreglass one to cut though. Also for a Bike I'd get the MARINE version - better waterproofing. I keep toying with this but I'd rather get the suspension right first.

new to site and had to put new loom in bike, ordered my nautilus and it arrived today. great pics and thanks but im stumped no power to horn put multimeter on purple an black lines no reading I noticed I had blown 10a fuse, (shud I get a reading when I press horn switch)? I checked and changed 10a fuse and relay energises or clicks with no ignition to bike turned on as I insert fuse (it does not blow) and then relay does not click as I thought it should when horn is pressed.??

Any ideas pls

Last edited:
new to site and had to put new loom in bike, ordered my nautilus and it arrived today. great pics and thanks but im stumped no power to horn put multimeter on purple an black lines no reading I noticed I had blown 10a fuse, (shud I get a reading when I press horn switch)? I checked and changed 10a fuse and relay energises or clicks with no ignition to bike turned on as I insert fuse (it does not blow) and then relay does not click as I thought it should when horn is pressed.??

Any ideas pls

Introduce Yourself !!

,,,, im stumped no power to horn put multimeter on purple an black lines no reading I noticed I had blown 10a fuse, (shud I get a reading when I press horn switch)? I checked and changed 10a fuse and relay energises or clicks with no ignition to bike turned on as I insert fuse (it does not blow) and then relay does not click as I thought it should when horn is pressed.??

The purple/ black from the horn switch switches GROUND to the horn (or relay) NOT +12V

What you should be doing is connecting the the Black/Blue - which is positive power, always +12V with key on - to the 86 terminal of the relay, then the Purple/Black to the 85 terminal.
Now you should find the relay ONLY clicks on when you have key on AND the horn button pressed.

For the High current side of circuit, connect a fused 12V supply (at LEAST 14 ga or better) to relay terminal 30
Using same gauge of wire, connect terminal 87 to the Horn +
Then connect the Horn - to Battery Negative (again use minimum 14 ga wire for the ground)

Back