Install Stebel Nautilus air horn how to (another one)

JSHRAM

.060 Over
Ride
2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
While I was doing my switch relocate I took advantage of the disassembly to install a Stebel (which I do on all my motorcycles) as I like to see cagers pee their pants when they get too close because they are texting and driving... The stock horn is about as wimpy as it gets. A bike like this with a horn that should be in a baby crib? Nah.. Stebel.

I didn't do anything that isn't already out there, but took a few pics and thought I'd share. First, clearly you have to get rid of the smog can under the left side cover. This eliminates so much stuff, you just need to do it as it makes you feel better. On my Roadster there were two metal tabs to the right of the stock relays, where I presume the Touring model mounts more relays for more stuff. Anyway, I cut those two tabs down to give me a nice little bracket to hang the stebel perfectly vertical. Sweet!

I mounted the relay on the rail (shown) just where the old air intake turned. Nice hole there to bolt to, no drilling necessary.

Power. If you pull the plastic cover off from in front of the left side plate there are a bunch of wires hooked to a bracket. One of those wires is an empty plug with a purple and black wire. That is your heated grips plug. If like me, I don't have heated grips, so it is a handy, fused, power source ready to tap into for your relay. The grips use a 10A fuse, the Stebel needs a 20A fuse... Pull the plugs off your stock horn and plug directly into the two activation studs on the relay and you're home free. 130db baby!

John

FYI -
Good stuff, but I have trouble with your photos as they are taken so close up, I can not figure the orientation. :D
No biggie, just sayin' . . . :thumbsup:

... One of those wires is an empty plug with a purple and black wire. That is your heated grips plug. ...

It's actually the accessories socket connector

The wire is a little light-weight for 18A - it's not in any danger of burning up, since only a momentary current.
However you will find the horn should be louder with a better gauge of wire being used (for both power and ground) as you will have less voltage drop across larger gauge wire.
Now - truth be told, already loud, so whether you can audibly discern that difference in amplitude is debatable.

Nice one. I still haven't got round to fitting mine yet. Is it still nice and loud under the side cover as I've been thinking of modifying things to get it where the original one sits?

Nice install John,

I put a Denali Sound Bomb on my Roadster. I don’t use it much but it gets everyone's attention when I do.

I call it my “anti-teeny bopper texting" device.

Easy to install and could save your butt.

Jay

20160409_143707.jpg
I mounted mine behind the front fork bag

My step dad installed one of these for me behind the left panel. I thought it may lose some effect being behind that and on the side but danggggg is it loud! Don't use it that often because of its full effect. Almost need a mini toot function on it :)

Back