Injectors, clean or replace

You can pull if you already pull the fuel rail the injectors should be on it the retainer clips are what holds them in the fuel rail and the harness connectors will need to come off. I can see lifting the throttle bodies up and hanging them from the handle bar if you do not want to unhook the cables then you only talking a couple wire connectors like the TPS primary and secondary the two upper mount retaining bolts one at each and plus the three throttle body hose clamps. but heck if you went ahead and pulled the rail out the hard part was probably the upper screws that bolt the rail to the body. I agree with cleaning the injectors, pump filter and the pre-filter in the tank need to come out. And as pointed out you have to hold your face straight when pulling the pump so you do not bend the fuel level float. Have you pulled the tank so you can see what your doing?

I meander down to the barn today and look around for a set of injectors just in case but I would send the ones you have out anyway so you know they are right Kevin can or might have let you know the cost. I might have a set or three laying around somewhere.

6 lbf/in^2 - is that blinded before the regulator?
Not experienced with Rockets, but with a Harley V-rod or BMWK1300 / R1100, if you only have 6 psi blinded, it's not going to run. On the Harley/BMW you would need 25-30+ and hold it after the fuel pump shuts off.

Maybe someone with Rocket experience will chime in. While you are waiting - hunt down any post by user IDK and download a manual from the link in his signature
That's 6lbs psi at the fuel rail, I would assume (hate to do so) that the in tank pump is internally regulated.
IDK for sure.

You can pull if you already pull the fuel rail the injectors should be on it the retainer clips are what holds them in the fuel rail and the harness connectors will need to come off. I can see lifting the throttle bodies up and hanging them from the handle bar if you do not want to unhook the cables then you only talking a couple wire connectors like the TPS primary and secondary the two upper mount retaining bolts one at each and plus the three throttle body hose clamps. but heck if you went ahead and pulled the rail out the hard part was probably the upper screws that bolt the rail to the body. I agree with cleaning the injectors, pump filter and the pre-filter in the tank need to come out. And as pointed out you have to hold your face straight when pulling the pump so you do not bend the fuel level float. Have you pulled the tank so you can see what your doing?

I meander down to the barn today and look around for a set of injectors just in case but I would send the ones you have out anyway so you know they are right Kevin can or might have let you know the cost. I might have a set or three laying around somewhere.
Yes to pulling the tank, my hope when pulling the rail was that it was full of bad fuel, wasn't sure how long it would take to push all that bad fuel through the injector.
I'm apprehensive to break any seal that's 15 years old, it just means waiting for said seal to arrive and the crazy cost to replace.
I will say I was surprised at how reletively painless it was to pull the rails.
Looks like I will be pulling the pump and rails.
Thanks for your reply!

6 lbf/in^2 - is that blinded before the regulator?
Not experienced with Rockets, but with a Harley V-rod or BMWK1300 / R1100, if you only have 6 psi blinded, it's not going to run. On the Harley/BMW you would need 25-30+ and hold it after the fuel pump shuts off.

Maybe someone with Rocket experience will chime in. While you are waiting - hunt down any post by user IDK and download a manual from the link in his signature
Good call, I just looked it up nominal fuel pressure is 3.0 bar or 43 lbs psi.
Think i might have found the problem, i think i've got a high pressure pump and regulator I can pull to test.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks

My guess, nothing wrong with injectors. Problem is in the tank. Cracked fuel lines, clogged filter. Yes, pressure is supposed to be around 40 psi, runs for a second or two when key turned on, then stops, until engine fires up.:)

My guess, nothing wrong with injectors. Problem is in the tank. Cracked fuel lines, clogged filter. Yes, pressure is supposed to be around 40 psi, runs for a second or two when key turned on, then stops, until engine fires up.:)

Yo'see. Bad pump, pick up or cracked fuel line. Could still be a fuel goo/crap embolus anywhere.

Be careful reinserting it and go soft on the bolts that hold the fuel pick up assembly to the bottom of the tank. There are several folk who have sheared some of those very fragile bolts right off.

Yo'see. Bad pump, pick up or cracked fuel line. Could still be a fuel goo/crap embolus anywhere.

Be careful reinserting it and go soft on the bolts that hold the fuel pick up assembly to the bottom of the tank. There are several folk who have sheared some of those very fragile bolts right off.
Copy that will keep you posted.

Could be just a clogged fuel filter or pick up mesh. A broken down fuel line in the tank has been reported and featured here. I think it was Steel who wrote that up. Blow some air through the pump while you are at it. It's a female dog to change but easier that dealing with the injectors.
So here is the update, I pulled the fuel pump assembly(pain in but) making sure to not destroy the sending unit float, all hoses where looking pretty rotten, pulled the pump checked pressure 40+ psi all good added filter still all good hooked up regulator and hosed down the work bench not so good ( thank god for pigmat) ordered to regulator still waiting.
In the mean time I grabbed a high pressure pump off the i had laying around hooked up to fuel rail and she fires up :)

So what was wrong with the regulator. You know, they do vent the excess pressure through a hole, which while inside the tank is no problem, but on your bench.....

Back