Inital start up after a long winters nap.

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Any secrets to getting the fuel system up & going after the tank has been off for several weeks? Or will the electric fuel pump running for a short time before igniton take care of everything?

Rusty...
I have had my ship down for several weeks getting stripped down for a new paint job and some other slight performance updates as outlined on this forum. I have had my fuel tank off several times to include a new fuel filter installation. All went well on the restart provided....the sealing washers (aluminum) were replaced as per the service manual.
I am hoping for the same result this time...S.B.

reprime

when you turn the key on and that short time the pump runs is not enough just cycle the key "off, on, off, on" keeping it on long enough for it to run the prime each time, a few of those should be more than enough to get things rollin.

Thanks, I might need to do that as well.
I think I'm coming down with a case of "road fever" and the cure is parked in its shed.
Dennis

32 dtg Dubai
33 dtg Home

Thanks nightrocket. I would not have thought of "cycling" the ignition key a few times to pump things up. Much appreciation.

Hey Silver Bullet, I think I'm going to take Flip's advice & run the washers across a fine bastard file to knock the high ridges off before reassembly. I have to agree with Flip that that should do the trick.

Molinoman, I'm feeling kinda feverish too.

See ya.

My dealer said to start it every two weeks or so when not using it regularly. I couldn't ride last winter but I did this and there was no problem with the bike. I didn't change the oil or drain the gas tank. Just fire it up periodically and let it run for a few minutes.

I got off mine for 4 days and tried to start it up on a really cold morning for this part of the country mid 20's and she wouldn't catch before the battery went south. Trusty 5 min. charge and fired right up. Dennis is that a visit home or are you gonna stay this time?:rolleyes: You will have some more company if you stick around for a while. :eek: We have had a pretty cool winter so far. Don't think I'll get 20000 before April. Need you to ride with so I can get my wet weather practice in.:D

Maybe Triumph should offer a block heater as an option.
Another element might be the oil weight your running. I havn't switched from the special Triumph/Moblie One that the dealer recomends. I am thinking that either a 10w50 or a 5w50.

I tried the "cycling the key" tip .... it works! 4-5 times seems to do the trick nicely.
I also took the Odessey PC625 battery suggestion and did the battery tray modification. (getting that tray out was a little involved) Between the monster 265 cold cranking amp battery and cycling the key, she starts right up every time no matter how cold or how long she sat. This web site is fantastic, you guys have saved me money, time and alot of aggravation.:)

Thanks again for all these tips, I'm sure I'll be needing them when I get home. Baggage1 I will be going back on the 15th unless Julie offers me around $15 an hour...don't think that's going to happen so I'll probably be going back at least two more times...maybe three (after R&R's that is). The latest will be June or November of 2010...then I'm going to stay home from then on.

Dennis

11 dtg Dubai
12 dtg Home

Back