UPDATE FIXED: Brahma won't start darn it.

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
I flew home from a work trip two weekends ago. I had been gone roughly 10 days. When I tried to start the bike in the parking lot, I found the battery was too week. I called for a jump start and the bike roared to life. Yes, the service truck was running when we jumped the bike's battery. I know this is a no-no and maybe that is my problem now.

I rode Brahma home about 35 miles with no issues. Two days later, he would not start. The engine turns over fine, but no ignition. After a short time, the battery was drained again. The battery itself has been in the bike for three winters now so maybe it is going bad. So, I bought a new AGM, fully charged and installed it.

Still no start! The engine turns over with authority but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key, thus I don't think it is the reason. So why no start? I am open to any ideas folks...

If you try it many times will it eventually start. If so I have the same issue and i have yet to solve it.
Check the starter relay.
Also check the spade connections to the coils.
tps and neutral switch as well.
There is not much that will keep it from starting.
If you cant sort it with a few things I mentioned... check for spark.

There should be no issue starting it on a jump from a running car or truck.

let's start simple and go from there.

If it's turning over good then you can eliminate all the safety checks
Neutral switch
Clutch switch
Kickstand switch
Starter button
And starter relay.
You can give it a shot of starting fluid and if nothing happens then it is probably spark.
On mine I fought a cold start problem for a year that kept getting worse. At last i would have to wait till about three oclock before it would start.
The best way i could check the spark was to use and old dwell meter hooking one clamp to outside number 2 coil and the other clamp to positive battery post when the ecu grounds the coil the dwell will sweep to 55 each time the ecu fires the coil.

If the dwell meter did not move then the bike would not start
So i found the problem in a connector under the tank. The connector was laying on the valve cover when I pulled it apart i found
Like a green(coroded) type lube.
So cleaned and sprayed the connector and it worked great until
Last Saturday and then i had to crank it for a while so going to have to do something else. Need to take it on again. The connector is almost square and guessing about 10 or 12 pins and real close to number 2 coil.
Hth

It's cranking so the next thing to check is spark... Pull a plug, ground it and hit the starter??

If there is spark, check for fuel (You stated the fuel pump runs... that's good). Test to see if you are getting battery voltage to the fuel injectors. I'm pretty you have 12 volts to the injectors with the key on. If so, the injectors only spray fuel when they are grounded by the ECU. The ECU should get its signal from the Crank Position Sensor (I think) to make this happen. Might want to check that. There are videos showing how to check to see if the ECU is grounding the injectors properly on You Tube using a test light. To check the CPS, use this method from @DEcosse CPS Testing. Have you checked your Crank Position Sensor for metallic swarf?

When testing with the 12 volt test light it can not be a low ohm test light like 5 ohm you need it to be like 22ohms when checking the coils the low ohms will kill kill the spark instead of blinking and showing that the ecu is grounding the spark.

Update: it will start with starter fluid and will run for a few seconds after ending a spray. It will even rev slightly but then stall.

check for ignition 12 volts on the injectors
if you have power on one it is porbably on all three
take a look in the tank to see if you have gas (gauges dont always work) and someone may have wanted to pull a trick on you and syper the gas.

check for ignition 12 volts on the injectors
if you have power on one it is porbably on all three
take a look in the tank to see if you have gas (gauges dont always work) and someone may have wanted to pull a trick on you and syper the gas.
Sounds like a fuel issue, pump, hose, filter, no fuel, etc..

Back