RIII 2005 will crank but not start - yes one more of those :-)

Helgi Hilmarsson

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket 3
Had my 2005 RIII sitting for 2-3 years now. Tried to start up and cranked fine but didnt start.
tried to put power booster on the battery to turn faster.. turned like a good drill but no start again...
tried Start spray .. broom started for few seconds .. so problem is fuel not ignition...
There is plenty fuel onboard but now like 2-3 years old...
Ran fine before parking. was parked due to ignition switch issue which has been sorted with new ignition swtich 3 years later...

would love good suggestion on fueling issues after long term storage
(photo taken during 3 years finishing ignition switch project)

Attachments

• 1 RIII 2005 3.jpg
    1 RIII 2005 3.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 6
Had my 2005 RIII sitting for 2-3 years now. Tried to start up and cranked fine but didnt start.
tried to put power booster on the battery to turn faster.. turned like a good drill but no start again...
tried Start spray .. broom started for few seconds .. so problem is fuel not ignition...
There is plenty fuel onboard but now like 2-3 years old...
Ran fine before parking. was parked due to ignition switch issue which has been sorted with new ignition swtich 3 years later...

would love good suggestion on fueling issues after long term storage
(photo taken during 3 years finishing ignition switch project)
Change fuel filter (in tank) blow all lines & fresh gas. Mite have to clean injector's as well. 🚀

Update: I disconnected the fuel hose from tank to Fuel Rail and then turned ignition switch on... and no fuel came... some drr sound and click came from throttle body area. So fuel pump is not working. Took tank off and pump assy out... what a bad state of things.. all rubbers as good as melted and a some kind of grit/sandy stuff covering all pump assy.
All connectors were corroded and blue/greenish.. so either pump is shot or bad connections at terminals. I have cleaned all up now and am ordering in all rubbers. Will have the pump tested tomorrow but ordered a new one just in case. Fuel Filter and Fuel Regulator had no restrictions so they are not at fault.

Attachments

• 2023-07-23 12.59.24.jpg
    2023-07-23 12.59.24.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2023-07-23 12.59.29.jpg
    2023-07-23 12.59.29.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2023-07-23 12.59.33.jpg
    2023-07-23 12.59.33.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 2023-07-23 12.59.44.jpg
    2023-07-23 12.59.44.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 16
I think that as soon as you remove the banjo bolt the tank valve will close and shut off probably even if you turned on the fuel pump more than likely nothing will come out.
Your fuel rail and injectors most likely will be plugged with bad gas.

I think that as soon as you remove the banjo bolt the tank valve will close and shut off probably even if you turned on the fuel pump more than likely nothing will come out.
Your fuel rail and injectors most likely will be plugged with bad gas.
I didn’t remove the Banjo bolt at the tank .. only disconnected the hose from tank at the Fuel Rail by the Throttle body.. could blow air from the hose to pump without any resistance

Update - All been fixed now. It was the Fuel Pump who had died. I put 12vdc powersupply on the original one and it didnt move. Totally dead. I bought a replacement on ebay but had to swap over the screen from the original pump. Cleaned all and installed and is now running fine.. did a 30 mile test ride and all is normal.

Back