Non starter 2005 Rocket 3 Classic

Haylo

Standard Bore
Ride
R3
Hi there everybody, I am in the process of recommissioning a friends Rocket 3 Classic which has been laid up for a while, carried out a service, fresh oil, oil filter, new spark plugs, removed air & fitted a ram air filter system. Fitted a new fully charged battery, switched ignition on lots of whirling sounds dials swept, mil light on, main beam warning light on, low fuel warning light on etc, went to press starter button NOTHING :( Good start, so I starting checking things, did a diagnostic check with my Dealertool programme result was 14 fault codes :rolleyes: At this point i muttered a few words to myself, so took the starter motor off bench tested it all working, checked starter/cross over relay located next to the flasher unit found to be faulty so replaced still no start. Check all fuses/relays sprayed electrical cleaner on all connections still no start, checked side stand switch since purchase an eliminator plug, checked clutch switch relaced complete left hand switchgear as clutch switch fell apart still no start :( Found main harness had been spliced/cut & scotch lock joiners used so I replaced the main harness with a used harness, still no start. So next step was to look into the fault codes one by one I rectified these & did a re test scan all cleared now. My dilemma now is why no start? I've checked the crankshaft position sensor as this came up a as fault code all good now, went to starter/cross over relay all seemed good checked all wiring individually seem good but still no start? accidentally I allowed the wire (Yellow/brown) from the relay to the Ecu pin B24 to touch the chassis frame whilst pressing the starter button & the engine turned over? Took the lead away from the chassis, back to no start wtf. Whilst cranking over the engine the main beam warning on the dash cluster remains on all the time go figure, switch gear position makes no difference high or low beam lights work as normal the same when I crank the engine over with the yellow/brown wire touching the chassis press button lights goes out release button lights come back on. Anybody got any suggestions. Regards

Hi there everybody, I am in the process of recommissioning a friends Rocket 3 Classic which has been laid up for a while, carried out a service, fresh oil, oil filter, new spark plugs, removed air & fitted a ram air filter system. Fitted a new fully charged battery, switched ignition on lots of whirling sounds dials swept, mil light on, main beam warning light on, low fuel warning light on etc, went to press starter button NOTHING :( Good start, so I starting checking things, did a diagnostic check with my Dealertool programme result was 14 fault codes :rolleyes: At this point i muttered a few words to myself, so took the starter motor off bench tested it all working, checked starter/cross over relay located next to the flasher unit found to be faulty so replaced still no start. Check all fuses/relays sprayed electrical cleaner on all connections still no start, checked side stand switch since purchase an eliminator plug, checked clutch switch relaced complete left hand switchgear as clutch switch fell apart still no start :( Found main harness had been spliced/cut & scotch lock joiners used so I replaced the main harness with a used harness, still no start. So next step was to look into the fault codes one by one I rectified these & did a re test scan all cleared now. My dilemma now is why no start? I've checked the crankshaft position sensor as this came up a as fault code all good now, went to starter/cross over relay all seemed good checked all wiring individually seem good but still no start? accidentally I allowed the wire (Yellow/brown) from the relay to the Ecu pin B24 to touch the chassis frame whilst pressing the starter button & the engine turned over? Took the lead away from the chassis, back to no start wtf. Whilst cranking over the engine the main beam warning on the dash cluster remains on all the time go figure, switch gear position makes no difference high or low beam lights work as normal the same when I crank the engine over with the yellow/brown wire touching the chassis press button lights goes out release button lights come back on. Anybody got any suggestions. Regards

first 2005 did not have classics jut standards
a little talk about the starter relay
the bike has a few safetys
you have to have the green neutral light so relay will work
you have to have the clutch switch on for relay to work (pulled in)
you have to have the kick stand up for relay to work unless it is in neutral with green light on
the b24 ecu grounds the starter relay after all safetys are met
hth herman

ok on diagnoses
if green light nuetral then that is good it also will over ride the side stand switch
on clutch switch roll the rubber back and short the two wires as a test only shorting permanent will cause running probs

Reviewed the thread and you may have a low voltage along with the relay not working (energiz8ng) like it should.

Reviewed the thread and you may have a low voltage along with the relay not working (energiz8ng) like it should.
Thanks for the info, I have removed the gear position sensor to do a continuity test & a resistance values test, 1st test got continuity from twin wire plug (black/white) wire to neutral pin on sensor face, smallest pin no other pin shows any continuity, 2nd test on black wire using ohms got the following values 1st gear pin 0.081, 2nd gear 0.117 3rd gear 0.390 4th gear 0.678 5th gear 1.20 neutral pin zero according to data I should have a resistance at the neutral pin can you shed any light? Regards

Thanks for the info, I have removed the gear position sensor to do a continuity test & a resistance values test, 1st test got continuity from twin wire plug (black/white) wire to neutral pin on sensor face, smallest pin no other pin shows any continuity, 2nd test on black wire using ohms got the following values 1st gear pin 0.081, 2nd gear 0.117 3rd gear 0.390 4th gear 0.678 5th gear 1.20 neutral pin zero according to data I should have a resistance at the neutral pin can you shed any light? Regards
the best way to tell if that nuetral connection is correct is if you have a nuetral green light? that means that the ecu is getting the nuetral signal and is turning on the light. if you do not get the green light then i can go over my notes to gain more info.
hth

the best way to tell if that nuetral connection is correct is if you have a nuetral green light? that means that the ecu is getting the nuetral signal and is turning on the light. if you do not get the green light then i can go over my notes to gain more info.
hth
Hi there turbo200r-4 justed checked out the GPS, removed, cleaned & checked for any apparent damage all good, the neutral light is on but very dim, goes out when I manually select first nothing happens when pressing starter button all other safety device's are ok IE clutch switch (brand new l/h switchgear harness) side stand switch also good 👍 but the main beam warning light on the dash is at full brightness 🤔
Any thoughts?
Regards
Martin

Hi there turbo200r-4 justed checked out the GPS, removed, cleaned & checked for any apparent damage all good, the neutral light is on but very dim, goes out when I manually select first nothing happens when pressing starter button all other safety device's are ok IE clutch switch (brand new l/h switchgear harness) side stand switch also good 👍 but the main beam warning light on the dash is at full brightness 🤔
Any thoughts?
Regards
Martin
Ok so try
when you pull the clutch in and the kickstand is up it should over ride the nuetral (green light) switch and start if the nuetral switch is the problem.
it does seem funny that you say it is dim
when you first turn on ign and all the of the lights come on (for checking purposes) is it dim at that time?

Ok so try
when you pull the clutch in and the kickstand is up it should over ride the nuetral (green light) switch and start if the nuetral switch is the problem.
it does seem funny that you say it is dim
when you first turn on ign and all the of the lights come on (for checking purposes) is it dim at that time?
Yes it's dim all the time, so dim it looks like it doesn't light tried it in complete darkness?

Yes it's dim all the time, so dim it looks like it doesn't light tried it in complete darkness?
So when you first turn on ign and all of the lights comes on is the green light bright?
and did it start in gear clutch pulled in with kickstand up?

Back