Won't start headlights stopped working.

Planecrazyjim

.020 Over
Ride
2008 Triumph rocket 3 with dmc sidecar
Went on a ride and turned bike off at a rest area. Went to leave turned on the key, gages sweep normal. But the headlights didn't come on. Depressed the clutch, in neutral, kill switch in start position, pressed starter button. Nothing. Turn signals, brake lights, horn all work. Gages reading normal but no low/high bean indicator. Push started it fine and drove home. Next day I pulled fuel tank, unplugged all connections and cleaned. Reinstalled. Pulled and cleaned the 3 relays on the left and swapped them around. Pulled and cleaned the 2 on the right. Replaced the 5 pin start relay. Old one worked. When the key is on, gages sweep and set. Hold in clutch. Hit starter button and hear clicking from starter relay. Let out clutch and it stops. Installed new battery. Pulled starter and installed new Toyota starter. Rebuilt the solenoid with new parts. Pulled all fuses, cleaned and reinstalled. Tested with meter. All work fine. Traced out harness best I could. No broke or loose wires. Bike dismantled all over shop floor. Spent hours reading threads till eyes crossed, headache. Bike starter still won't start. When I turn on key, hear fuel pump. Just won't start with the button. I've run out of ideas. And low on patience.
2008 rocket 3 roadster
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, jimmy

Went on a ride and turned bike off at a rest area. Went to leave turned on the key, gages sweep normal. But the headlights didn't come on. Depressed the clutch, in neutral, kill switch in start position, pressed starter button. Nothing. Turn signals, brake lights, horn all work. Gages reading normal but no low/high bean indicator. Push started it fine and drove home. Next day I pulled fuel tank, unplugged all connections and cleaned. Reinstalled. Pulled and cleaned the 3 relays on the left and swapped them around. Pulled and cleaned the 2 on the right. Replaced the 5 pin start relay. Old one worked. When the key is on, gages sweep and set. Hold in clutch. Hit starter button and hear clicking from starter relay. Let out clutch and it stops. Installed new battery. Pulled starter and installed new Toyota starter. Rebuilt the solenoid with new parts. Pulled all fuses, cleaned and reinstalled. Tested with meter. All work fine. Traced out harness best I could. No broke or loose wires. Bike dismantled all over shop floor. Spent hours reading threads till eyes crossed, headache. Bike starter still won't start. When I turn on key, hear fuel pump. Just won't start with the button. I've run out of ideas. And low on patience.
2008 rocket 3 roadster
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, jimmy
Check all pos. and neg. connections, especially the grounds. Check kick stand is up then check switch.

Check all pos. and neg. connections, especially the grounds. Check kick stand is up then check switch.
No corrosion. Pos and neg cables good. Have side car. Stand is up and still operates correctly. Switch . . . Believe would be good due to the relay clicks when pushed.

I'm thinking maybe if I can figure out why the headlights aren't coming on with the key on. Then I could figure out the starting issue?

I have the clicking problem on one of mine randomly...done everything you have done...only thing to try is another relay (pics) from a post I got somewhere, makes sense to me, just got to do it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710_101545_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230710_101545_Facebook.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230710_101614_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230710_101614_Facebook.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230710_101602_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230710_101602_Facebook.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 9
Since this happened when riding, check the little ground clip that comes out of wiring harness and runs upto battery by r/r. Its a single black clip, make sure its not burnt,

Attachments

• IMG_7063.jpeg
    IMG_7063.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 11
No corrosion. Pos and neg cables good. Have side car. Stand is up and still operates correctly. Switch . . . Believe would be good due to the relay clicks when pushed.
What about where the grounds terminate? Could someone have installed a by-pass relay before you got it?

I would probably bypass stuff until the issue identifies itself.
Battery to starter directly.
Works?
  • Ok then move back the cable to the output of the solonoid and try again,,.
Doesn't work?
...Ground issues from battery to engine to starter....?
Take cable and ground starter directly to battery.
Works now?
Stuff like that...:)

I would also consider the terminals in the relay sockets.
Especially considering the headlight anomaly
Loose grips sink ships.
You could use a stand alone blade connector and check the firmness of each relay socket female connection.

Back