Inexpensive Starter Replacement

Does the big one fit with dual exhaust?

The longer motor DOES fit the Touring with stock crossover.

I don't remember if you have to remove the stock motor from the faceplate to get it out.
But, to put the new starter assy back on, you should install the faceplate & Solenoid then install the motor or you'll have to move the crossover out of the way. It's a tight fit, I think less than an inch.

Okay, I just installed the 17774NP (motor only) on Brahma and he started right up. Amazed? I am.

First, I took out the long screws on the OEM motor like @Claviger stated from the starter assembly. I had to use a box end wrench as the open end wrench from Triumph was starting to strip the heads.
20181104_155647.jpg

Then I disconnected this 12mm nut which secures the power cable to the motor.

20181104_160324.jpg

Taking the OEM motor off was tougher than I thought as the exhaust brace was in the way. But, as the motor cover came apart, not a problem any more. I slipped the outer cover off by inserting a straight slot and twisting it to open the gap.

20181104_160738.jpg

Here is the empty slot. Notice the corrosion on the power stud. Clean that off and apply some dielectric grease.

20181104_160855.jpg

The new motor went on quite easy though.

20181104_161213.jpg

I tightened the 12mm nut, recovered with the rubber cover and hit the starter button, all done.

20181104_161643.jpg

Because I am slow, it took me about 25 minutes.

Last edited:
hyper little starter lol

When/If you do, its $400+ to buy the stock part, this one is like $80 and does a much better job of starting the bike.

The added compression and higher rate springs to suite the bigger cam exacerbate any slight battery issue into a non-start.

I'm trying to edit a video real quick so you can hear the difference, sounds like a little GSXR600 spinning the starter, its ridiculously fast.
Thank you for this thread and video! I’m ordering the starter now. My 2011 R3T wouldn’t turn over this morning after sitting on a battery tender for a few days.

Okay, I just installed the 17774NP (motor only) on Brahma and he started right up. Amazed? I am.

First, I took out the long screws on the OEM motor like @Claviger stated from the starter assembly. I had to use a box end wrench as the open end wrench from Triumph was starting to strip the heads.
20181104_155647.jpg

Then I disconnected this 12mm nut which secures the power cable to the motor.

20181104_160324.jpg

Taking the OEM motor off was tougher than I thought as the exhaust brace was in the way. But, as the motor cover came apart, not a problem any more. I slipped the outer cover off by inserting a straight slot and twisting it to open the gap.

20181104_160738.jpg

Here is the empty slot. Notice the corrosion on the power stud. Clean that off and apply some dielectric grease.

20181104_160855.jpg

The new motor went on quite easy though.

20181104_161213.jpg

I tightened the 12mm nut, recovered with the rubber cover and hit the starter button, all done.

20181104_161643.jpg

Because I am slow, it took me about 25 minutes.
I take the whole starter out so I can clean up the plunger and contacts in the solenoid, linish of any arcing pitting and re-align the contacts.
Pics show arcing on plunger and contact pads also misaligned.
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG

I should mention, my bike is fairly low mileage for it's age and I do a stupid amount of preventive maintenance so the swap was very easy. For a gas/tires/oil bike with high mileage, I highly encourage what @Mitzzy mentions above, check it all out and make you only have to do this once.

Back