Inexpensive Starter Replacement

Well I dug into the solenoid last night to replace the contacts with the ones from the 1.4kw starter assy listed on the first page sourced from discountstarterandalternator.com.

The contact for the motor lead is NOT compatible.
I would recommend buying the rebuild kit for $20.
The OEM contact is asymmetrical, while the contact on the replacement starter is symmetric. See pics.

I cleaned and lightly sanded the worn areas and figure everything will work better for a good while.
**Edit: I ended up filing the contacts down to a nice CLEAN surface area before my kit came in. I've had perfect operation for almost 3 weeks now**

TRIUMPH ROCKET III STARTER MOTOR SOLENOID REPAIR KIT ( 428000-1810 ) | eBay

Nice pix!
Thanks for posting them.

PLEASE look at the first post . . . I've updated the info there.

Yes, Advance shows 280-0174 but ONLY as the Denso reman unit, and at that, a whopping $232 plus $35 core charge.

Here in Georgia is the new starter for $82.00 with shipping -- how can they do that ??? 12 mo warranty

And I'm going to "take one for the team" -- I just ordered the 1.4kW starter from that link.

All the way through checkout, no added shipping, no added core -- no nothing added.

PayPal - OneTouch ® - easy peasy.
Joe i got the same one today, and from the same place, how did this starter work out for you? "Thanks and "Be Safe!

hyper little starter lol

When/If you do, its $400+ to buy the stock part, this one is like $80 and does a much better job of starting the bike.

The added compression and higher rate springs to suite the bigger cam exacerbate any slight battery issue into a non-start.

I'm trying to edit a video real quick so you can hear the difference, sounds like a little GSXR600 spinning the starter, its ridiculously fast.

Last edited:
The upgraded starter is a MONSTER lol. Turns it over sooooo much faster than the stocker, fires right up.

Well worth the switch.

I also installed a 2nd batter, and 4 gauge leads additional to the stockers for both positive and negative.

Can you confirm the part number and source of the starter you used?
Thanks,
Rick

Back