Ignition Timing Question

Mark Dunn

.060 Over
Ride
2009 R3 standard
Hi all,

I have a 2009 RIII standard with stock exhaust and airfilter. I'm running the Wayne Tripp Tune for TORS and underseat K&N as Wayne told me that it would work fine in a standard set up, - which it does, although likely marginally rich in places. I will be fitting D&D slip-ons shortly so the map will probably fit the set-up better.

The OEM map for the bike is 20222 and in comparing it to the Tripp map in TuneECU I see that the timing is identical in all ignition tables. From reading on this forum I believe that many people use TuneECU to copy the ignition table used in 4th and 5th into 1st, 2nd and 3rd. My question is, is this worthwhile and how is it done? Is it just a matter of copying the I3 table into I1 and I2?

All replies appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards,
Mark Dunn

Hi all,

I have a 2009 RIII standard with stock exhaust and airfilter. I'm running the Wayne Tripp Tune for TORS and underseat K&N as Wayne told me that it would work fine in a standard set up, - which it does, although likely marginally rich in places. I will be fitting D&D slip-ons shortly so the map will probably fit the set-up better.

The OEM map for the bike is 20222 and in comparing it to the Tripp map in TuneECU I see that the timing is identical in all ignition tables. From reading on this forum I believe that many people use TuneECU to copy the ignition table used in 4th and 5th into 1st, 2nd and 3rd. My question is, is this worthwhile and how is it done? Is it just a matter of copying the I3 table into I1 and I2?

All replies appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards,
Mark Dunn
The timing tables, i3, i2, and i1 are different in 20222 but the same in 20226. The rage has been to copy i3 into i2 and i1. You should find a cat bypass for your d&ds before worrying about timing.

The timing tables, i3, i2, and i1 are different in 20222 but the same in 20226. The rage has been to copy i3 into i2 and i1. You should find a cat bypass for your d&ds before worrying about timing.

Hi Dougl,

The D&Ds bypass the cat and fit directly to the end of the header collector with a 'Y' pipe. It makes it a 3-1-2 system with both pipes mounted on the right side of the bike.

I'll take a look at 20226 but I'd appreciate advice on if the change is worth it. Thanks!

Best regards,
Mark Dunn

Hi Dougl,

The D&Ds bypass the cat and fit directly to the end of the header collector with a 'Y' pipe. It makes it a 3-1-2 system with both pipes mounted on the right side of the bike.

I'll take a look at 20226 but I'd appreciate advice on if the change is worth it. Thanks!

Best regards,
Mark Dunn
That's good. I wouldn't use 20226. The stock tunes are generally leaner. I would also recommend 20050 final map decel. It was done custom by Wayne MacDonald at Tuneboy for TORs/cat bypass. Uncheck the O2 sensor.

That's good. I wouldn't use 20226. The stock tunes are generally leaner. I would also recommend 20050 final map decel. It was done custom by Wayne MacDonald at Tuneboy for TORs/cat bypass. Uncheck the O2 sensor.

Thanks dougl,

Going back to the timing, would it be an improvement to copy I3 into I2 and I1 on my current Wayne Tripp tune seeing as it has the same timing as the 20222 map?

Best regards,
Mark Dunn

Thanks dougl,

Going back to the timing, would it be an improvement to copy I3 into I2 and I1 on my current Wayne Tripp tune seeing as it has the same timing as the 20222 map?

Best regards,
Mark Dunn
I can tell you that the decel tune was based on 20222 - it has the same I3 table but Wayne MacDonald copied I3 into I2 and I1. He was one of the first if not the first to hack into the Rocket ECU and make custom tunes for Tuneboy.

I can tell you that the decel tune was based on 20222 - it has the same I3 table but Wayne MacDonald copied I3 into I2 and I1. He was one of the first if not the first to hack into the Rocket ECU and make custom tunes for Tuneboy.

OK, thanks dougl,

I shall have to experiment once I've fitted the D&Ds in a week or two.

Best regards,
Mark Dunn

I never noticed but the F tables are the same in 20222 and 20226, the L tables are the same except for 4% of the cells between 1400 and 2400 RPM, and the ignition tables are different. Also, the secondaries are closed to different degrees in the two tunes. It's hard to see why Triumph created a performance exhaust but didn't give it more fuel. Instead, they changed the ignition and secondaries. Same fuel - more power. This is beyond my understanding but I would guess that you can't get maximum torque without simultaneously tuning the fuel and ignition on a dyno over the entire range of RPM and load.

I never noticed but the F tables are the same in 20222 and 20226, the L tables are the same except for 4% of the cells between 1400 and 2400 RPM, and the ignition tables are different. Also, the secondaries are closed to different degrees in the two tunes. It's hard to see why Triumph created a performance exhaust but didn't give it more fuel. Instead, they changed the ignition and secondaries. Same fuel - more power. This is beyond my understanding but I would guess that you can't get maximum torque without simultaneously tuning the fuel and ignition on a dyno over the entire range of RPM and load.

Thanks dougl,

That's interesting information and I agree with your Dino comment.

Best regards,
Mark Dunn

Thanks dougl,

That's interesting information and I agree with your Dino comment.

Best regards,
Mark Dunn

If it helps I run a D&D exhaust. I removed the O2 sensor and also have trilp K&N's with no secondaries. I have used the 20050map TORSTRIPLE no O2 file and it runs great, eats fuel though. Have tried other tunes but always dropped back to this been using it for a couple of years now.

Back