Ignition Bypass Carry Kit

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I know you are probably all laughing at my posts thinking...."This guy must be the Ultimate Triumph Doomsday Prepper", but a good plan is better than no plan at all. Taken from the wealth of knowledge provided by the gurus of Rocketdom here on the forum and some of my own wisdom on electrical circuits, I made... and am posting some pictures of my ignition bypass kit. Compact enough to fit in a very small pocket and easy to make, no ignition switch will ever leave you stranded for long. If you carry this device....your ignition switch will never fail just knowing you have it.

Anyway, I used these neat little .187 ATM mini brass fuse taps (Pico #1593PT) to create my pigtails. They slide over the fuse leg and clip to the side of the fuse. I gentley soldered them to the leg of the fuse just for good measure. I then soldered my wire to the brass taps and tidied everything up with some heat shrink tube around the connection and the fuse. On the 30 amp fuse, I used a mini fuse tap on both sides of the ATM fuse to handle the extra current. The 10 and 20 amp ATM fuses are pigtailed together to a single wire and the 30 amp ATM fuse is on its own pigtail. Attach the pigtails to a 30 amp toggle switch, plug the 10 amp fuse in position 5 of the fuse box, the 20 amp fuse in position 9 and the 30 amp fuse in position 2. With a flip of the switch, enough things should turn on to get you started and home. I am reposting a photo of a mount I made for my toggle switch which will be located inside of my left side cover of my R3T for easy access should I every need to use this device.

Now that I have gone to the trouble of installing the EB relay kit, I don't think I will ever need this, but....as I said before....a good plan is better than no plan at all. If any of you gurus find any errors in my narrative, please feel free to correct things. I'm not crazy! I was tested as a child.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 109
To me, this yells, "STEAL ME!"
Just sayin' . . .

It does doesn't it, but what fool would leave it lying around or hooked up. Not me! It also says "Ride Me I'm Broke"! Besides, I have the seat bolts isolated from ground and wired with a 20,000 volt charge, they gotta get the seat off to get to the fuse box.:rolleyes:

It does doesn't it, but what fool would leave it lying around or hooked up. Not me! It also says "Ride Me I'm Broke"! Besides, I have the seat bolts isolated from ground and wired with a 20,000 volt charge, they gotta get the seat off to get to the fuse box.:rolleyes:

OK, Amigo.
Guess I presumed this was permanent based upon your third photo.
I did not get that this may be a temporary ignition by-pass. :thumbsup:

OK, Amigo.
Guess I presumed this was permanent based upon your third photo.
I did not get that this may be a temporary ignition by-pass. :thumbsup:

"Compact enough to fit in a very small pocket and easy to make", was your clue. I only showed the bracket and switch to illustrated where I would put it if I had to use it. Sorry 1olbull, my bad for not making it clear. I guess I should have left that picture out. :banghead:

"Compact enough to fit in a very small pocket and easy to make", was your clue. I only showed the bracket and switch to illustrated where I would put it if I had to use it. Sorry 1olbull, my bad for not making it clear. I guess I should have left that picture out. :banghead:

No error on your part - I should have just dwelled and pondered a tad more. :banghead:

I actually have a really simple emergency bypass kit - have privately messaged several guys (different occasions) whose Speed Triples left them stranded (on the 1050 Series, the harness was clamped at the headstock and would ultimately break the conductor from the strain)
It requires no more than a paper clip and will start your bike using the regular starter button. Hence why I don't put out that info in the public domain! :0

Actually shockingly, when studying a modern Triumph Twin schematic for a KeyLess kit, I discovered that I could (not that I would!) steal one of those in less than 30 secs without even having to gain access under the seat etc. Nothing to remove or unbolt. That one involves a pre-made jumper that I would connect to a very easily accessible part of those models in seconds, Then flick the starter and be off.

I'm not trying to be egotistical here in professing knowledge I'm not willing to share - just demonstrating that bikes are incredibly easy theft targets - some more easy than others!
I had two friend have bikes (both Triumphs) stolen on road trips last year - one from Norway whose bike was stolen while on a round-Europe tour (from Hotel Parking lot in Prague)
That was immediately before a road trip of my own which made me really paranoid! So I removed my Key-Switch completely (Would-be-thief scratches head and thinks "Where do I jam my screw-driver?")
And bought a Xena Disc Lock/Alarm. Not only is that thing a serious physical lock, it absolutely SCREAMS, not like some wimpy car alarm.
So a little extra immobilizing is worth considering - be that physical restraints or electrical.
At the end of the day, if they want your bike, it goes in the back of a van, regardless of what you do. But you can at least offer some discouragement that makes them take the next one.

I digressed a bit from the original theme, other than to impress - it's best just to not share hot-wire tricks publicly.
Let's not give the bastards any help!

Yeah, a disc brake lock with an alarm is the minimum we should be arsed to do, really. It will pretty much stop every thief who plans to just brutalize the keyswitch and ride off, I went with the ABUS top of the line alarmed model. Xenas have historically been possible to silence by just ramming the screwdriver all the scumbag thieves carry through an external speaker... nothing such exposed on my Granit 8000. Still, they can wrap them in tons of duck tape, but actually breaking mine would take serious power tools and lots of dedication.

Back