Ignition problem- Rocket III (2004)

Punish73

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket III (2004)
Went for a ride with no issues. Stopped the bike outside the garage. 2 minutes later it was completely dead!
Battery 12.7 V
Blinker and horn works
Checked all fuses -> ok
Lifted tank and took off all side panels-> no obvious loose connections or burnmarks.
There is a 'Dynajet Power Commander' with Low/Medium/High buttons. No indications on the diodes at the front of the box.

Now I'm lost on how to.proceed. Any ideas?

Went for a ride with no issues. Stopped the bike outside the garage. 2 minutes later it was completely dead!
Battery 12.7 V
Blinker and horn works
Checked all fuses -> ok
Lifted tank and took off all side panels-> no obvious loose connections or burnmarks.
There is a 'Dynajet Power Commander' with Low/Medium/High buttons. No indications on the diodes at the front of the box.

Now I'm lost on how to.proceed. Any ideas?

20230729_221515.jpg

If no clicking
Make sure it is in neutral with the green light on
Pull clutch lever in
Push starter button if no sound slowly let out clutch lever while holding the starter button in
Try this and hth.

If no clicking
Make sure it is in neutral with the green light on
Pull clutch lever in
Push starter button if no sound slowly let out clutch lever while holding the starter button in
Try this and hth.
Tested (in neutral, although no green light as the instruments are dead). No response, no clicking.

I think it is more of a power issue.
With the ignition and kill switch on
Turn handle bars all the way to left then to the right to see if the gages will energize.
Check the fuses with a 12volt test light
Clamp to bat ground then probe to each side of fuse with everything turned on. You have two extra fuses on the rear side that will not light the test probe.

Assuming your ride is a 2004.... I wonder if the ignition switch wiring is original without any bypass for the headlights. The early models had all the headlight current flowing through the switch causing it to overheat and solder connections on wires to melt. Often the wire/wires could be resoldered instead of replacing the switch but the headlight bypass should to be done or low draw LED headlights installed to prevent it from occurring again.

Assuming your ride is a 2004.... I wonder if the ignition switch wiring is original without any bypass for the headlights. The early models had all the headlight current flowing through the switch causing it to overheat and solder connections on wires to melt. Often the wire/wires could be resoldered instead of replacing the switch but the headlight bypass should to be done or low draw LED headlights installed to prevent it from occurring again.
The above would probably keep the PC3 from juicing up too.

Back