I wouldn't say this common but certainly an issue

im thinking you had mentioned before avionics ?

While Active Duty yup. F-14's as a matter of fact. Since then all sorts of electronics/electrical/weapons system stuff, etc.

I've even had the opportunity to drive an M-1A2 Abrams and an interesting vehicle called the ABV (Assault Breacher Vehicle). Fun Stuff !!

Last edited:
There is the stuff we accidently drop that leads to this discussion and resulting "Oh sh_t" moments. Then there is the stuff that's intentional that can also lead to those frustrating moments. I remember in the late 70s working at a GM dealership when a customer who had just purchased a new sedan stated he had a rattle in the right rear door that was driving him nuts. When he finally managed to get the car into the dealership I was able to inspect the door and found a large nut hanging from a piece of string fastened to the window tranny inside the door with a note on it stating something to the effect like "It took you long enough to find this". Right from the factory. Another time a customer complained about an odor in his car. Pulled the panels off the doors and found a factory workers rotting lunch. The customers weren't impressed (doesn't help sales).

Another time an apprentice was replacing an engine with a replacement longblock. The replacement engine had valve covers in place and other than installing the old intake/carb was a drop in. The apprentice failed to sweep the intake ports in the cylinder heads and when he started the engine.... that's all folks. When we pulled the head, we found a brand new slightly beat up valve cover bolt stuck in the piston along with a hole in the head. Someone failed to check twice in that instance....
Any more stories guys???

had a customer late 60s had an old chev with a cast iron powerglide trans some one had put an old punch card in where the trans filter was .
now the filter and the punch card was about the same length so when they matched up it would leave u walking but y could start it up and drive for a month or so then it would happen again.

And I swear there has to be an open hole somewhere behind the oil tank, cause if you drop one back there, it's GONE forever !!!! :cool:
Yesterday, while tightening valve cover bolts, the Allen head socket fell off the end of my extension. After searching for several minutes I figured it fell into that black hole behind the oil tank. It took some bending, gymnastics and cursing but I finally got it out with my telescoping magnet.

By the way, speaking of oil tanks, a few months ago I discovered a big dent in the top of the tank to the right side of the filler hole. There is not a scratch or mark of any kind on the paint. It looks as if the tank was dented before it was painted at the factory. The crater is approximately 3" in diameter. Looks like it would take a hammer to make a dent that size. Weird. :rolleyes:

PS The dent is on my '08 Touring model. No dent in my '06 Classic oil tank.

Attachments

• oil tank 1.jpg
    oil tank 1.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 20
My son had a mystery dent on his Ducati Monster's tank. About 1 1/2" diameter which looked like a golf ball hit it on the right side near the filler cap. No knowledge of a hit or whatever. Magic!

Back