Hi, I too have a FatBob. If you could only keep one, the FatBob or the Rocket, which would it be?

I swapped my 09 Fatboy my first 2013 Rocket Touring. Smooth, fast and powerful....that's the Rocket. I do not miss my Fatboy and the V Twin sound and noise is overrated. I had a set of Rhineharts on it and it got annoying as time went on. I'm on my 2015 R3T now and performance trumps noise any day. As for a sweet throttle lock, go with the BrakeAway Throttle Lock. Don't settle for less no matter what someone tells you....You will not be sorry.

I owned an ‘09 CVO Fatbob in a flashy yellow paint, gobs of chrome and the 110 hop up kit. It was a quick little bike producing 110 hp and 120 tq. It was my “hot” bike. I loved it and swore I’d never trade it. After trading all my other Harley’s for the new Indians it was the last of the HDs and that was another reason to keep it.

One ride on the R3R and it got gone. Both bikes are naked so they are stylistically and functionally similar but the Triumph is way more bike and rides better too. The motor is not Harley v twin like at all. It feels and sounds more Bentleyesque. The engine is silky smooth and stuffed with power all over the rpm range. It made the old hopped up FB look weak and small. I’m over six feet and 200 pounds and my wife said I looked to big on the FB but not so on the massive Rocket.

The Roadster is not a touring so forcing it that way is spending money taking it in a direction for which it was not designed. If you like all the touring amenities get the Touring and spend a little to get the power out of it that is easily attainable.

Have you driven one yet? If you have not you should but be prepared to get ruined with you love of Harley power, or lack of.

Well said! And if you ride two up, you will barely even notice you have added another rider. It is that strong on performance and power. One test ride and my Harley was gone.

I swapped my 09 Fatboy my first 2013 Rocket Touring. Smooth, fast and powerful....that's the Rocket. I do not miss my Fatboy and the V Twin sound and noise is overrated. I had a set of Rhineharts on it and it got annoying as time went on. I'm on my 2015 R3T now and performance trumps noise any day. As for a sweet throttle lock, go with the BrakeAway Throttle Lock. Don't settle for less no matter what someone tells you....You will not be sorry.
Thanks! Your advice is appreciated!

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I think alot of people go "That's a huge bike!" when they see it and even when they sit on it but you gotta take one for a ride and see for yourself how balanced they are and to get a feel of the power under you. Be strong with it at low speed, like coming to a stop or slow turning...take a grip of it and be the boss...its a beautiful bike. When you have finished your test ride you will see what i mean...good luck.

As for a sweet throttle lock, go with the BrakeAway Throttle Lock. Don't settle for less no matter what someone tells you.....
But I wanted to tell him about the simple Oxford palm shelf. :coffee:

I went from a Heritage Classic to the R3 - there are some things the Harley did better and trundling through backroads with the missus on the rear was one, the other was heavy traffic. But for my average riding which was mainly fast highway and one or two longer trips - The R3 wins hands down. My usual trips are however now more encumbered by traffic. But I will NOT be getting another Harley.

A very good friend in the UK went back to a HD as his legs started to lose strength. Also I think his wife was happier on a Harley. I don't think honestly they are really comparable bikes. It depends (imo) on your riding style and also the roads you run on usually.

I went for the R3 standard rather than the Touring as I did not really like having a speedo in the tank. But otherwise it's just a question of aesthetics. You can easily make a Touring run like a Standard/roadster - or visa versa.

One tiny word of warning - expect tyres to wear out much more often on an R3.

I think alot of people go "That's a huge bike!" when they see it and even when they sit on it but you gotta take one for a ride and see for yourself how balanced they are and to get a feel of the power under you. Be strong with it at low speed, like coming to a stop or slow turning...take a grip of it and be the boss...its a beautiful bike. When you have finished your test ride you will see what i mean...good luck.
Thanks ! Good advice!

But I wanted to tell him about the simple Oxford palm shelf. :coffee:

I went from a Heritage Classic to the R3 - there are some things the Harley did better and trundling through backroads with the missus on the rear was one, the other was heavy traffic. But for my average riding which was mainly fast highway and one or two longer trips - The R3 wins hands down. My usual trips are however now more encumbered by traffic. But I will NOT be getting another Harley.

A very good friend in the UK went back to a HD as his legs started to lose strength. Also I think his wife was happier on a Harley. I don't think honestly they are really comparable bikes. It depends (imo) on your riding style and also the roads you run on usually.

I went for the R3 standard rather than the Touring as I did not really like having a speedo in the tank. But otherwise it's just a question of aesthetics. You can easily make a Touring run like a Standard/roadster - or visa versa.

One tiny word of warning - expect tyres to wear out much more often on an R3.
Thank you, I am going to pull the trigger Monday and get it after reading your comments. I’ll get the Roadster then add a windshield and bags. I do prefer handlebar gauges over tank. My Fat Bob has a tank speedo. Also I want the tach. I’m not concerned about the size or weight even though I’m not as young or strong as I used to be. I’ve got 45 years experience on baggers. Here’s my Harley with windshield GPS!

Attachments

• DD46427A-755C-4CAD-86BF-AC84FEF10363.jpeg
    DD46427A-755C-4CAD-86BF-AC84FEF10363.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 0
Back