Rock Ape

.040 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 R
It must be close to 18 months or 2 years I have had it now. I might be exaggerating a little bit but it feels like for half the time I have owned it, it has been in the workshop.

From the initial clutch issue which seemed to go for 4-6 months to various starting issues. The latest; I haven't seen her for 3 weeks while the Triumph dealer tries to sort another starting issue. The dealer has been great and I know getting parts has been a problem for them but you expect more at the price we pay for it.

I wonder sometimes if it would be worse if I rode the back brake more and all the issues that has had around the world. Coming from mainly sports bikes, I tend to favour the front brake about 70-30 or more. Had I been a traditional cruiser rider, I wonder how many times I may have had these back brake issues like so many others have had.

Even my old 2012 Diavel Carbon was never at the shop unless it was service time and I used to flog that bike like I stole it almost every time I rode it. After the clutch episode after owning it for a couple of months and Triumph refusing to fix under warranty putting me almost $2000 USD out of pocket, I never ride it has hard as I rode the Diavel. (And here I was thinking at the time, the Diavel will explode one day and was a factor in choosing the amazingly beautiful R 3).

Don't get me wrong .... the bad hasn't outweighed the good yet and I still love it as mentioned. Just be nice to rely on it as it's my favourite in my stable of bikes.

Wondering what experiences others have had.

Related to: My Jinxed Rocket 3 R

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your issues. Mine has had, like others, the rear brake issue which has now been resolved and difficulty with getting accurate oil readings with the 90 second warm-up. Other than that, mine's great.
I suspect going to an all new model re-design from the ground up, plus going outside the UK for work, parts, assembly etc has compromised the high quality we expect from Triumph. That old saying "they don't build things like they used to" is becoming the truth with everything these days.
Hope you can enjoy it now and worry less

It must be close to 18 months or 2 years I have had it now. I might be exaggerating a little bit but it feels like for half the time I have owned it, it has been in the workshop.

From the initial clutch issue which seemed to go for 4-6 months to various starting issues. The latest; I haven't seen her for 3 weeks while the Triumph dealer tries to sort another starting issue. The dealer has been great and I know getting parts has been a problem for them but you expect more at the price we pay for it.

I wonder sometimes if it would be worse if I rode the back brake more and all the issues that has had around the world. Coming from mainly sports bikes, I tend to favour the front brake about 70-30 or more. Had I been a traditional cruiser rider, I wonder how many times I may have had these back brake issues like so many others have had.

Even my old 2012 Diavel Carbon was never at the shop unless it was service time and I used to flog that bike like I stole it almost every time I rode it. After the clutch episode after owning it for a couple of months and Triumph refusing to fix under warranty putting me almost $2000 USD out of pocket, I never ride it has hard as I rode the Diavel. (And here I was thinking at the time, the Diavel will explode one day and was a factor in choosing the amazingly beautiful R 3).

Don't get me wrong .... the bad hasn't outweighed the good yet and I still love it as mentioned. Just be nice to rely on it as it's my favourite in my stable of bikes.

Wondering what experiences others have had.

Related to: My Jinxed Rocket 3 R
2007 rocket 3 classic, love that bike, "Camilla", many times hot or cold I have to rock the bike back & forth while in gear to get it to start. Don't even know if that helps but that's what I do till I figure it out or it quits starting all together

I had a ton of problems with my 05, zero problems in 7 years with my 14 and now a few problems with my 2020. A gas tank had to be replaced, stalling issue that happened about twice to three times a month. It hasn't happened in about 4 months now I'm on my second bleed on my rear brakes. The 2020 is my second all time favorite bike so I bit** a lot but I really like it and no desire for anything else. You would think Triumph would add the time lost in the shop back onto your warranty. It wouldn't hurt to ask. I would if mine spent that much time in the shop. Cheers.đź‘Ť

I had my TFC out for a run on the Devils Triangle yesterday and it performed flawlessly. All I did was the rear brake recall and trouble free so far. It is at 16'000 miles and not an issue. Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

As to riding it hard and using a lot of front brake I say it should be able yo do all of that without issue. I ride mine pretty hard some days and no one in our group can keep up with me. I did ride with some other Rocket riders on that same road a few years back but I was on my old Rocket. Many of them "lost" their brakes with heat related brake fade but mine were fine. My wife on her Indian was the only one that was even close to my pace and she had no brake problems. All I can surmise is they were not used to the hard curves and excessively heated the brakes while going slower than me.:roll:

I had a ton of problems with my 05, zero problems in 7 years with my 14 and now a few problems with my 2020. A gas tank had to be replaced, stalling issue that happened about twice to three times a month. It hasn't happened in about 4 months now I'm on my second bleed on my rear brakes. The 2020 is my second all time favorite bike so I bit** a lot but I really like it and no desire for anything else. You would think Triumph would add the time lost in the shop back onto your warranty. It wouldn't hurt to ask. I would if mine spent that much time in the shop. Cheers.đź‘Ť
Not a bad idea. Would get 12 months. :)

Back