I have some tune questions

If tuning is all you're using it for, you can probably uninstall almost all other software from the compaq and just upgrade it to windows 7 OS a lot cheaper than a new platform? Just a thought?

Probably not. As I understand the existing Win 2000 machine doesn't have all the hardware he wants. And even if he can install a new OS for free (that is if he or a friend has those skills) and get all the drivers working it wouldn't be too much more money to just buy an inexpensive new notebook or laptop. Plus the battery on that Win 2000 machine just has to be near the end of its life!

I sure wish TuneECU would work on a Macbook Pro. I love my Mac compared to PC but can't run TuneECU on Mac. I bought a cheap ASUS lap top running windows 7 and it works good. NEVER BUY A COMPUTER WITH WINDOWS 8!
Most not all people hate it. My ex used to work at Best Buy and people return computers all the time with 8 and trade for 7.
Microsoft needs to get busy...... Apple and Goggle are fixing to put them on the back roll. Not out of the game of course but they have been kind of dull lately.

. . . NEVER BUY A COMPUTER WITH WINDOWS 8!

I will admit that I was not enamored with Win 8 when I first got it on my work laptop, but once I learned that it is very much like Win 7 if you use Desktop Mode I was able to live with it, and now don't find any annoying major differences. (Well, except that Lexmark has not made Win 8 drivers for some of the printers we have at work) I have resisted "upgrading" to 8.1 because I heard that there was a few compatibility issues with older programs. I work in the Automotive field and some of our stuff is XP vintage, so I want to be able to have full use of everything I need.

I have never used Apple, for a couple reasons but primarily that most things in my work environment are designed to work on PC, but those that are able to use Apple seem to love it.

8.1 is a major upgrade that everyone should apply, in my opinion. Among other things, it lets you select to boot straight into the desktop, not the Modern UI.

Also, TuneECU might just run on a Mac if you install virtualization on it. Parallels or VMware Fusion. Or, you can choose to ru Bootcamp and boot the Mac into Windows (need to buy and install Windows for it). http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1461

8.1 is a major upgrade that everyone should apply, in my opinion. Among other things, it lets you select to boot straight into the desktop, not the Modern UI.

Also, TuneECU might just run on a Mac if you install virtualization on it. Parallels or VMware Fusion. Or, you can choose to ru Bootcamp and boot the Mac into Windows (need to buy and install Windows for it). http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1461

I looked into that not long ago. I got confused on what to do so I gave up. I'm not computer savy on most things. Since I already have a laptop that works with Tunecu it wasn't a big deal.

So for beginners I will have to buy the installation disc with Windows 7 on it?

I looked into that not long ago. I got confused on what to do so I gave up. I'm not computer savy on most things. Since I already have a laptop that works with Tunecu it wasn't a big deal.

So for beginners I will have to buy the installation disc with Windows 7 on it?

Yeah, I haven't done it myself, since I'm too poor (ok, fine: too big a cheapskate) to buy a Mac when Windows does what I need, but it shouldn't be too tough. You do need a retail Windows 7 disc.

On older Macs it has to be a 32-bit version of Windows, I think.

Here's a 7-minute video walkthrough:
- it's from 2008, so any Mac later than that should work.

There's always the potential that things go wrong too or that a mistake is made, even though it's probably not a large risk, so if you're going to try make sure you have a complete backup of the Mac and the stuff on it first.

Here's a video that does it with Windows 8:

Last edited:
I talked to a tech at SCT tuning and he said that while you can install a Windows program into a MAC he strongly recommended against it. It seems that their programs may not work well with the MAC and cannot guarantee any of their tunes. So, there are a few nice used/refurbished laptops on ebay right now that I am going to order in a few minutes.

Update: ordered this one today. Wife says its my birthday present now. Wimmen....
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335943355&icep_item=191212358060

Should be able to download tunes for my Mustang and updates for the Rocket now.

Last edited:
Back