I did electronics measurement and battery drain calculation for rocket3R 2022 - Battery, Turn signals

Just curious how much AMPS the heated grips use. The three settings on high, med and low. The reason I'm curious is when I first had the bike with under 500 miles I was on the freeway at 70 to 80 mph headed up I-80 at a slight 3% incline and the battery light came on. The heated grips were set at high but only had them on a very short time maybe 5 to 10 minutes. I shut the heated grips off and the light went out after about 3 minutes. I was in 5th gear so I wasn't bogging anything down. The battery light hasn't come on since and I did use them a few times usually on and off for a half hour or so but they were on med or low and never on high. Just curious what the AMP draw would be.:thumbsup:

I have one of the older gen Rockets. I installed a voltmeter on my ride so that I could monitor things happening before the battery goes dead. With headlights on and the Triumph heated grips on high, there is no appreciable drop in voltage. I guess it helps that I also have led bulbs in my headlights, driving lights and tail light but even when I had halogens, my voltage never raised a concern. Also, I run my heated grips at least 60% of the time. On some long trips, I never turn them off. They are usually set on the low setting (only 2 on the Triumph grips) with never a problem with battery draw...

Just did a quick Google search and it looks like most grips draw from 3 to 4 amps. Shouldn't really cause a good charging system any problems.

Last edited:
I have heated grips and heated jacket and gloves (grips off with those). So far, no warnings from the bike and a voltage meter on the aux outlet with usb shows adequate levels. I ride 5-7 days a week, so no battery failures yet. Good post/info- thanks.

Back