Junior

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I'd like to put new rear shocks on my 2011 Rocket III Touring, and for the life of me I can't figure out how I'm going to get the rear end off the garage floor. I've looked at the the little flip-up lift stands, I think they're also called paddock stands. I don't think that will work because there is no place to put the lift pad on a swing arm, on the final drive side of the bike. The hydraulic lifts you put under and use to lift the whole bike... I have doubts as to whether I can place the two lift pads in a spot that won't do damage if there's all the bikes weight bearing down on it. It looks like you'd have to put them under the sump, or belly pan and I don't think that's a good idea. Plus I'm not sure it'd be balanced front-to-back. I've thought about hoisting it from above, because I have a large super solid I-beam going across the middle of my garage...but I get stuck trying to figure out how a hoist rigging would go.

I'm sure there's people here who know the way... I could really use some help.
Thanks in advance.

I'd like to put new rear shocks on my 2011 Rocket III Touring, and for the life of me I can't figure out how I'm going to get the rear end off the garage floor. I've looked at the the little flip-up lift stands, I think they're also called paddock stands. I don't think that will work because there is no place to put the lift pad on a swing arm, on the final drive side of the bike. The hydraulic lifts you put under and use to lift the whole bike... I have doubts as to whether I can place the two lift pads in a spot that won't do damage if there's all the bikes weight bearing down on it. It looks like you'd have to put them under the sump, or belly pan and I don't think that's a good idea. Plus I'm not sure it'd be balanced front-to-back. I've thought about hoisting it from above, because I have a large super solid I-beam going across the middle of my garage...but I get stuck trying to figure out how a hoist rigging would go.

Thanks in advance.
I just use a floor jack raising the right side and placing an automotive type jackstand under the footboard frame then jack it up with the rearward frame ear to level and place another jackstand under the Left side. A small scissor jack will raise it to overbalance for tire etc. removal. I have a 2009 Touring which is pretty much identical.

I have used this lift to bring the rear end up high enough to remove rear tire for many, many, many rear tire replacements on both of my Rockets since 2011.
See pix below . . . (please disregard the lift stands used at front to hold up the front wheel in the pix)
HTH?

Winter Work.JPG

That does help. Thank you. So if you take away the front stand the bike balances Ok on that lift?
Absolutely and the jack can be moved rearward some to keep the front wheel on the ground, BUT you won't be able to access all three oil drain plugs if needing an oil change.
IMPORTANT!
While wheel is off
at every tire change grease up your rear drive splines!

Absolutely and the jack can be moved rearward some to keep the front wheel on the ground, BUT you won't be able to access all three oil drain plugs if needing an oil change.
IMPORTANT!
While wheel is off
at every tire change grease up your rear drive splines!

Thanks in advance.
Make a lifting beam wider than the bike, attach one strap to each side of lifting beam and a come-a-long in the center, from the beam to lift the bike. Once you make the lifting beam, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

I think 1olbull's jack method will work for not a lot of money. I think I'll use the front wheel lift in conjunction with that just to add stability. I'm paranoid about something shifting, the bike losing balance and falling off the lift. That'd be a nightmare. I had a lift a lot like the one in 1olbull's pic. Gave it to a friend because I had for 10 years and never used it. I'm sure he'll let me borrow it back.

Anyway, I thought about making a lift beam. I see buying them is expensive as hell. What kid of stock would you use? I feel like 1nch and a half square tube would be strong enough.

Back