How To Improve Fuel MPG on R3T

Rogiecrockett

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I have had the bike now for a month and put 3400 miles on it. I ride about 110 miles round trip daily for work.

I have had 28 mpg as the low and around 38 mpg as the high. I usually seem to get around 34 mpg on average.

Running an entirely stock bike with no modifications.

I know I did not purchase the most economical motorcycle there is but I would expect it to be better than this. I am not looking for improvement in horsepower or torque, I am looking for increased fuel economy.

Please give me some ideas on how to improve mileage.

Thanks, Dave.

From the sounds of it your not running on a interstate or even a country highway at criuse. Or am I wrong? If I am wrong then she needs to be looked at or your wrist has a problem along with the grin factor:D

Warp,

Not sure if your comment is for me or Marty.

I run 4 lane and 2 lane. Usually run about 10 miles over speed limit. When accelerating from a stop I do get on it.

Have no cruise control or throttle lock.

Any ideas?

Buys a motorcycle with the BIGGEST PRODUTION MOTORCYCLE ENGINE ON THE PLANET and is trying to get better mileage! :roll::banghead:

Dunno, try putting on cruise control, not going past 20% throttle, lose some weight, over inflate your tires, trade in for a Grom or CTX700... or quit tracking and worrying about your mileage and just enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
The trick is to do one of two things
1 don't start the bike ( sorry couldn't help myself)
2 use a very gentle throttle and ride the torque curve accelerating slowly
There is a third but most of us would never be able to do it, ,......
3 cruise at about 2250 rpm with minimal load so use the gears, if you can cruise at that rpm you are a better man than me and you would probably get run over on the I 40, when I was there last year if you were doing less than 80mph a truck would pass you let alone the pick up Utes

Warp,

Not sure if your comment is for me or Marty.

I run 4 lane and 2 lane. Usually run about 10 miles over speed limit. When accelerating from a stop I do get on it.

Have no cruise control or throttle lock.

Any ideas?
If your running over 70 she will stat droping other the that stay under 3k ,2500 is better but of course I know its hard. You should try 70 and under for a while to see if you can get 40 to 43 mpg then if not we can look at a few things that might need adjusting. Its hard I know my wrist likes to twist.

Your mileage is like mine, though I can peak at 40 once in a while. I have aftermarket pipes, and modified tuning, so that does affect my experience.

If you figure out how to do it, let me know. My commute (20 miles with about 8 miles of interstate) gas mileage is rock steady @ ~28 mpg. I figure that is a small price to pay for the enjoyment I get on that small commute.

bob

I typically get 35 to 38. I have the tall windshield, but it isn't clear that that hurts my mileage because when I had the stock shield installed, it was in the same range.

Really, as others have noted, the most important factors in your mileage are whether or not you are cruising or doing city stop and go, and how you're using your right wrist.

Really though ... this is not that much different from what I've gotten riding a wide range of sport touring style bikes. My FJR 1300s have all gotten 40ish for example. The R3T is very heavy and it has a pretty large frontal area to blast through the wind. High speeds and climbing will use fuel up faster than level cruising. But you take the road you need to take, not the road that's the best for gas mileage.

Back