How to clean bugs from Radiator

redrocket

Supercharged
Is there a chemical or bug remover to clean bugs from the radiator that won't hurt the painted or chrome finishes? Any suggestions?

RedRocket said:
You mean like a paint brush? How about chems that dissolve debris and bugs and then pressure wash?

No, I meant like a wheel brush.

3M makes a spray on bug and tar remover that is commonly used to debadge vehicles but you have to be careful with any chemical that will dissolve anything that's stuck on your bike, it will also dissolve any wax you have on the paint so you may be creating more work for yourself than you would with a little elbow grease and a bristle brush.

Juggernaut said:
RedRocket said:
You mean like a paint brush? How about chems that dissolve debris and bugs and then pressure wash?

No, I meant like a wheel brush.

3M makes a spray on bug and tar remover that is commonly used to debadge vehicles but you have to be careful with any chemical that will dissolve anything that's stuck on your bike, it will also dissolve any wax you have on the paint so you may be creating more work for yourself than you would with a little elbow grease and a bristle brush.

That seems a little rough for the fine alum. weave of the radiator. They bend and distort real easy!

OK did the bug be gone, rinsed it with a hose, dried it with my elec. leaf blower and it worked fine. It also cleaned my motor so I needed to renew my Armor-All look but 30 mins later all done, clean radiator. Would do it the same next time!!

bugs

... I'm not smart enough to dream this stuff up, but always greatful for a how to suggestion,.... bug removal made easier by first soaking the bugs with liquid fabric softner. (bike needs to be cool and in the shade)
Also read somewhere to remove melted plastic from your bikes exhaust, (from those rain suits and cheap flip-flops), with a cold bike, spray the dirty area with oven cleaner. Let it soak and wipe off with a soft rag. It may take more than one attempt.

Goes without saying, you may want to test a small area before doing the whole.

Wouldn't nail polish remover (acetone) work for melted plastic?

Back