how do you remove wires from headlamp socket?

Mike Sands

Supercharged
Ride
roadster 2012
I bought a couple of the black headlamp shells and it should have been an easy job to swap the chrome ones out, but the black socket that goes on the back of the headlight bulb assembly will not fit through the cut-out in the back of the bowl, so I am going to have to take out the 3 wires that are in crimps in the black holder. There must be an easy way of getting these crimped brass ends complete with wires out of the black plastic, but I can't see how? Anyone know how it's done?
Mike

If I recollect correctly (when I did my Eastern Beaver Headlamp Relay mod) I had to disconnect the headlight leads from under the tank (where they connect into the wiring harness) and then I was able to pull out the H4 connectors from the headlamp shell(s).

Need someone else to confim that; but I believe that's what I did. It was a long time ago...

If you have a small screwdriver, a larger needle, or the correct tool, you can insert it from the front of the socket, pushing down the retaining clip which allows the wire to be removed from the back of the socket. I picked up a set of the tools for just this sort of thing at a chain auto parts store.

I tried poking a flat bladed jeweller's screwdriver in from the front but was fishing in the dark. Now I know there's a retaining clip there I will have another go. Good to know that the connector on the other end of the wires fits through that aperture too.
Thanks
Mike

Just be careful with the screwdrivers trying to push out the clips. A little too much pressure and you'll be visiting the emergency room with a hole in your hand.

Even though it is a pain in the ass, it's probably better to lift the tank and unplug from the harness. The leads pull right through the shells. While you're there, it would be a good idea to fit a headlight relay system (ie the Eastern Beaver kit) or you might be doing this all over again soon.

Just be careful with the screwdrivers trying to push out the clips. A little too much pressure and you'll be visiting the emergency room with a hole in your hand.

Even though it is a pain in the ass, it's probably better to lift the tank and unplug from the harness. The leads pull right through the shells. While you're there, it would be a good idea to fit a headlight relay system (ie the Eastern Beaver kit) or you might be doing this all over again soon.
Thanks TD - will follow your advice ref the lifting of tank. The bike is a 2012 Roadster though, and I believe they took on board the criticisms that the EB kit was aimed at solving, and the later bikes don't suffer (there should be an emoticon for crossed fingers shouldn't there?)
Mike

Back