How do you load your Rocket?

Works for me...
DSC00159b.jpg

That's like 'I'm moving house' amount of gear :eek: I couldn't ride with all that stuff occy-strapped or roped on like that , I'd be stressing and just waiting for something to fall off. Me Triumph Saddlebags , Ortlieb dry-bag with a Andy Baggz AA bag on top .. held on with '2' ROK straps.

My longest non-stop trip (and I did it twice) was across OZ, 4,000k's or 2,500 miles in 44 hours. That was in a car, a '66 Humber Vogue. My longest non stop on the bike was 1,300 miles in 26 hours from Birmingham, AL to Santa Fe NM.
1300 on a bike - that's serious. My longest non-stop on the bike - Just east of Innsbrück to the Ostend ferry. Guzzi recorded 1100miles. It f*cking pissed down the whole way - felt like weeks. So much so, water got inside the starter motor. Also made the mistake of getting wet before I could get waterproofs on - after which it made no sense. Had to throw the leathers away when I got home.

Pete - That's my idea of touring too.

All that $hit for only one Aussie????
Holy load on, Batman! :laugh:

Well not quite. I did have Amanda's riding gear (including full face helmet and boots) in there plus a couple of coffee makers with gas burner and kilo of coffee. I know...... Was almost 4000km trip over 11 days. But hey, if I got the room, I fill it. So what! :p

That's like 'I'm moving house' amount of gear :eek: I couldn't ride with all that stuff occy-strapped or roped on like that , I'd be stressing and just waiting for something to fall off. Me Triumph Saddlebags , Ortlieb dry-bag with a Andy Baggz AA bag on top .. held on with '2' ROK straps.

Well, I was camping along the way, so tent, cot, sleeping bag, chair, coffee pot... It adds up. When I travel with the wife, I pull a trailer. That was a 15 day, 4000 mile trip. And nothing has ever fallen off. ;)

After reading some of these stories I'm not to worried about loading up the beast. I'll be lucky if I haul 100 lbs total. Over the years I have learned to pack light. I should mention my wife doesn't ride, if she did I would probably need a trailer....lol

I am glad that my wife just lets me go too....There is no way she could back in anything less than 2 suitcases with at least 4 pairs of shoes. Somethings you just have to be thankful for!

My limit is half the weight of a normal passenger can go on the backseat for luggage and about 20pounds strapped to the rack and about 20pounds in each saddle bag... that would be max

Keeping it low and centered sure but if you carry a passenger then half your load is above or at seat height anyways.

Just keep it secured is key.

Last edited:
I have two cardboard boxes about the same size as one saddlebag.. we get one each. Leave them in the bedroom a few days before leaving. Catherine has learnt not to bring stuff she won't need , but it has taken time, patience and firmness :thumbsup: but we've got packing down pat now.

What ever happened to travelling light? Was a time when I would head off on a long weekend 3 nights away ride with a toothbrush stuffed in one of my socks. No wet gear just the clothes I was wearing, gloves and leather jacket. Spent some pretty miserable nights I will admit thats why I travell with a big fat comfortable swag now. Trying to make up for all those nights sleeping on the ground beside my bike in jacket and jeans.

My limit is half the weight of a normal passenger can go on the backseat for luggage and about 20pounds strapped to the rack and about 20pounds in each saddle bag... that would be max

Keeping it low and centered sure but if you carry a passenger then half your load is above or at seat height anyways.

Just keep it secured is key.
After years of travelling I've got the minimalist thing going on and even then I seem to still bring more than I need. My biggest concern was the camping gear. Now I manage, with the use of a compression sack to fit my sleeping bag, thermarest mattress, pillow, blanket and ground sheet into a small pack no taller than 18" and 12" wide and then my tent straps on top. It all weighs in at about the 15 pound mark. I'm assuming that should be okay for the luggage rack.
For the pillion seat I use the Kriega US 30 and a 20 dry bag system and that seems to hold everything I need for an unlimited amount of travelling. The saddlebags I use for odds and sods, not much weight at all.
I'm currently in Italy enjoying an espresso at a wonderful cafe, I'm here for 3 weeks and I only brought one medium suitcase......I still won't use everything I packed, and I didn't bring much. It's amazing, when you pay attention to what you think you need to how much you actually use.

Back