How do you load your Rocket?

Dawg68

Nitrous
Ride
2014 R3R / 2017 R3T
Good day all,
Just looking for a little advice on loading the R3R. I don't have a lot of experience with respect to long distance travelling by two wheels. Not looking for what to pack as I know that varies from rider to rider and length of trip. I realize that heavy items should be loaded as low as possible. My current configuration is;
I have the Triumph saddle bags, tall sissy bar and luggage rack and various motorcycle specific bags like the Kriega US series. I ride solo so I have the space on the pillion seat to use as well. How much weight or size of bag have you fellas put on the luggage rack before you noticed changes in handling?

Thanks

Good day all,
I ride solo so I have the space on the pillion seat to use as well. How much weight or size of bag have you fellas put on the luggage rack before you noticed changes in handling?

Thanks

Saddlebags ... Like you say, heavier gear - coats, shoes, tools etc.

Kuryakyn Tourbag on the rack....cloths

Kuryakyn Tombstone on the seat.....Ipad, phone & chargers, personal items. ( it has a solid frame to protect items & a pad you can lean back on when cruising. Very comfortable!!!)

I don't do long solo's without this, its like sitting in the lounge chair with the fan on watching the world go by.
Tombstone.jpg

Good day all,
Just looking for a little advice on loading the R3R. I don't have a lot of experience with respect to long distance travelling by two wheels. Not looking for what to pack as I know that varies from rider to rider and length of trip. I realize that heavy items should be loaded as low as possible. My current configuration is;
I have the Triumph saddle bags, tall sissy bar and luggage rack and various motorcycle specific bags like the Kriega US series. I ride solo so I have the space on the pillion seat to use as well. How much weight or size of bag have you fellas put on the luggage rack before you noticed changes in handling?

Thanks
never really bothered with weight or placement. and never notice a change in handling I have a big tourpack behind the pillion seat and a 50 liter kayak bag on the pillion both full and never really felt any difference
on my trip in europe (3 months) I had a huge suitcase on the rack and again never felt a riding difference ejther on the hihgway or in the mountains

I load my bike up with as much equipment as possible including a very comfortable swag . I reckon I must look like a mini bus commin down the road ,never had an issue with handling .ive only ever had an issue once when a tyre let go at 11pm.i can assure you i was gratefull then to have all that equipment.

I have the Triumph saddle bags, tall sissy bar and luggage rack and various motorcycle specific bags like the Kriega US series. I ride solo so I have the space on the pillion seat to use as well. How much weight or size of bag have you fellas put on the luggage rack before you noticed changes in handling? Thanks
Weight low and even across both sides. If you're going solo - put all you can on the rear seat. Keep weight and bulk between the axles. The R3 is a big heavy bugger and will cope with poor packing. But best practise is best practise.

Agree. Put as much weight as you can between the axles. I generally put the heavy bag on the seat and save the rack for a smaller one with my spare jacket/pants (and things like a bike cover). I found that with a load on, even with the heaviest stuff low down in saddled bags, the front will come up easier on acceleration. I notch up the pre load on the rear shocks a little and never really notice much difference in handling.

IMG_0139.JPG

I found that with a load on, even with the heaviest stuff low down in saddled bags, the front will come up easier on acceleration.
Really? - even with a good 60-70kilos on the rear - I notice only that my ears get clipped under acceleration. Never carried anywhere near as much luggage as that for even substantial tours.

Last edited:
Yes, really. Although I very much doubt I've ever had 60-70kgs of luggage aboard. Passengers yes, but not luggage.

Hepco Becker bags which carry tools, rain gear, and other stuff which I hope i never need. Everything I need goes in a Bikers Friend 24" bag. That works for 4-6 week trips.

Really? - even with a good 60-70kilos on the rear - I notice only that my ears get clipped under acceleration. Never carried anywhere near as much luggage as that for even substantial tours.

Remember in Europe you cannot go more than five minutes without croissing a border or seeing a shop, now down under them boys can ride for a couple of thousand miles and see nothing but some big leg sexy roos.

Back