Horn doesn't work; How to not be an idiot in 10 easy steps

CC98C1A1-33A7-47D7-B361-4E6CEC563C17.jpeg

Looks like fuse 4 goes to ignition switch out on #8 to the horn, then when you press the horn switch it grounds out and completes the circuit. If fuse 4 is blown your brake lights should be out also!

Well, like most new things that I get, I've begun the disassembly of the Skunk. The horn did not work when I got the bike and we assumed it was due to the horn being filled with mud dobber nests. The steps taken for the repair are below (happy ending included):
  1. Horn does not work.
    • Clear visible mud dobber nests, no sound.
    • Meter test inconclusive; voltage changes on button press, but not to the expected 12v
  2. Assume problem is combination of wiring and clogged horn
    • Clean horn more thoroughly and wire directly to battery for testing
  3. Horn makes weak gurgling "poot" noise
  4. Begin wire chase sequence
  5. Remove headlight plate and headlight, disassemble headlight casing
    • Discover wire connections in headlight casing
    • Realize that I have no idea how a Rocket is wired
  6. Discover aftermarket-looking mystery box inside of headlight casing
    • Disassemble, discover that it powers an out-of-date phone charger
  7. Borrow stock Thunderbird horn from @UnicornRider and @Mad Dog to test wiring
    • No sound on button press; Feel onset of regret, activate brain
  8. Check fuses
    • Horn fuse is burned through; replace fuse
  9. Horn makes noise
  10. Acquire new horns, wire into existing horn system; Reassembly pending
See attachments for reference, new pictures pending reassembly

I think we've all been there at least once in life :p

Did you realize the horn still sounds gay even when working properly?
Yep! Nothing like the first time you ride an R3 and the exhilaration of all the power you've never experienced before, then someone in a cage encroaches into your space so you push the horn button of this magnificent beast only to hear it go meep. :cautious:
Get a Stebel Nautilus and make sure the cagers hear you.

Yep! Nothing like the first time you ride an R3 and the exhilaration of all the power you've never experienced before, then someone in a cage encroaches into your space so you push the horn button of this magnificent beast only to hear it go meep. :cautious:
Get a Stebel Nautilus and make sure the cagers hear you.
Will I need to install the relay that comes with it, or can I just plug it into the stock wires? Do you know?

@Jag - that is a Classic schematic and @Son_Of_Dog has Touring which is a little bit different - however your note about how the horn works (grounds the negative side when switch closed) & the brake light not working are well-founded (the difference would be on a classic it would also affect the turns, but not on a Touring)
I think the turns not working (on a Classic) and therefor the brake light (as well as the horn in question) would definitely be noticable to the rider - but on a Touring,brake light function not so much!

@Steel - again good advice regarding using relay - just a minor correction that it's not a little more current - a Stebel pulls a whopping 18A of current!!! Think about that in these terms - that is like FOUR 55W headlights all wired in parallel! I only stress this because some might be tempted not to use relay if the presumption was it was only a little more. It's absolutely essential to use a relay (along with some decent gauge wire to go with it).

Back