Hola! New (to me) R3 owner with a Land Speed problem...

Add me to the growing list of people who are very interested in your build and the outcome.
One question, how do you plan on gearing up for a speed record? It's not like you can just swap sprockets like the other bikes you mentioned. I'm assuming you will need to go faster than the stock gearing.

Down south in S.V. :) It will be fast once I can adapt a 17" wheel to the back... right now this 16" rim/tire speed limit is going to really hamstring me at sanctioned events. Good news is I'm running on open records, so that give me the one event this year to shake it down. It'll be a stocker with a low-tech turbo build in 2 weeks, but next year it will get the proper build treatment (Carpenter top end, big air-to-water intercooler, etc)
Not sure if it helps but BST made some 18" carbon fiber wheels that will fit.

There are also a few maps floating around with a 9000 rpm limit which will get you much higher than the stock rpm. I've heard rumors of a 10,000 map too, but never actually saw one.

If you had a few extra $$$ to spend @R-III-R Turbo has developed a way to add a 6th gear, which will give you access to a few more mph.

Very interested in how you will meet safety requirements as i also am wanting to run standing mile at Arkansas mile, but some of the requirements are a stumbling block, i have a touring model and a steering stabilizer and safety tieing oil plugs and oil cap along with some other items have stalled my getting to do this, welcome and curious to see what you do. Pictures gonna need alot of pictures, :cool:
I make all my own parts that I can't get easily off the shelf... so I end up making it work one way or another. Our rule book has a few different safety requirements, but the AMA and the FIM have different ones as well... we usually just build to the most strict. Im not afraid to machine on stock parts, so that helps. :)

Once I get this bike ready for Speed Week and get back , I'll be happy to help you out with a few parts and/or pictures to get you squared away. :)

Add me to the growing list of people who are very interested in your build and the outcome.
One question, how do you plan on gearing up for a speed record? It's not like you can just swap sprockets like the other bikes you mentioned. I'm assuming you will need to go faster than the stock gearing.

At first I wont... being that I'm going to do this with a turbo i'll be in a class that hasn't had a successful record attempt yet... several classes, actually. This year I'm limited by tires anyway, as I've flat run out of time to make a different rim work. Next year I'll graft a 17" wheel on the back and I can get to making real mph without being safety DQ'ed. The plan is to do the carpenter top end for as much rpm as it will suffer, and then look at swapping around or making a new 5th gear pairing in the transmission that will get me where I need to be.

Not sure if it helps but BST made some 18" carbon fiber wheels that will fit.

There are also a few maps floating around with a 9000 rpm limit which will get you much higher than the stock rpm. I've heard rumors of a 10,000 map too, but never actually saw one.

If you had a few extra $$$ to spend @R-III-R Turbo has developed a way to add a 6th gear, which will give you access to a few more mph.
I saw that BST wheel... but 18" rims have the same problem... almost impossible to find Z rated tires. This thing will be fast enough next year to have to run "race tires" for the SCTA, which is a whole 'nother bunch of fun. For BST kind of money ill adapt a 2nd gen Hayabusa wheel i have laying around instead. Well, thats the plan anyway.... you know what they say about plans....

I'll raise the rev limiter after I've built the top end. Its one thing to touch high rpm on a stock bike every once in a while, its another to keep it wide open near the limiter for 3-5 miles... it's a good idea to build a little extra safety margin in first. :) just my opinion, of course. This is all moot this year, though... the stock rev limit and gearing will go faster than the tire rating, and I'm not trying to rile up any officials this year. :)

This will be interesting. Are you going for NA or FI records, both maybe?
What are the current records?

A 9000rpm Carpenter engine will give you gearing for about 240mph without the need for touching the trans. Although with a 04 there are many internal OEM updates for both engine and trans. Oh yes the Carpenter engine will also give quite a bit of power too.

Ime a Carpenter "265" kit plus the 2.5L stroker kit will net the most powerful NA Rocket in the world.

There's also a proof-of-concept 6th gear trans upgrade prototype there, just not cut from steel and road tested yet, that when combined with the above engine, will give the gearing for a theoretical top speed of around 330mph

Ime a Carpenter "265" kit plus the 2.5L stroker kit will net the most powerful NA Rocket in the world.

There's also a proof-of-concept 6th gear trans upgrade prototype there, just not cut from steel and road tested yet, that when combined with the above engine, will give the gearing for a theoretical top speed of around 330mph
Time to go to the caves of the dwarfs to have the gears forged so they can withstand all the power you could throw at them.

This will be interesting. Are you going for NA or FI records, both maybe?
What are the current records?

A 9000rpm Carpenter engine will give you gearing for about 240mph without the need for touching the trans. Although with a 04 there are many internal OEM updates for both engine and trans. Oh yes the Carpenter engine will also give quite a bit of power too.

Right now most of the records are 'open'.. not a lot of NA, non-pushrod, single 2000-3000cc engines in the field that can run on the salt, at least not outside of the special construction classes. And I'm pretty certain all the forced induction records are up for grabs too. I'm going to spend the next couple years fixing that, with any luck. :)

She will eventually go faster than 240, but that's at least a year or two away at this pace. This winter the engine will be out and gone through, so I can update the trans parts then. Honestly, we don't stress the driveline as much as asphalt guys do, so I'm not super concerned for now (after upgrading the clutch springs, that is).

265 NA sounds fun, but I'm a boost kind of person, so that's what I do. The fact that I can make well over 300 HP easily with just a good top end foundation, and dial more power in as needed (up to 500ish with this turbo) really just makes me happy. That, and Bonneville is pretty rough for altitude density... that 265 would take a 15% hit on a day with good conditions, and I hate being at the mercy of the weather if I can avoid it. :) If the NA records stay open though, and I have the extra money to spare, I may make a dual tune set-up up off the turbo header just to fill in those blanks in the record book. :)

Back