Hola! New (to me) R3 owner with a Land Speed problem...

SpazOnaR3

.060 Over
Ride
'04 R3 LSR
'Ello folks... figured I would start here.... been lurking for a few minutes and decided, "Why not?". I'm off and on a few other forums for other bikes I have, so hopefully I'm not to green here. :)

Have a super clean, 20K mile '04 that landed in my lap... but I'm doing some things that I imagine quite a lot of people won't like. :) I picked up a Land Speed habit a few years ago, and I'm in the process of developing this bike to run in the 3000 M-BF/M-BG classes... and maybe even the MPS or APS class next year (2000cc -> 3000cc bracket, "M" being unfaired with a lightly modified chassis, for those of you that don't speak LSR). Oh, and I'm going to keep it AZ street legal for this year as well, as absolutely stupid as that may be. It is definitely going to be a hard right turn from the norm, I can promise that.

So far I'm pretty impressed with this bike as it is, it is certainly a departure from my roots (Japanese L twins and turbo I4's). Between my own skill set an my good friend, we machine/weld/fabricate/wire/tune just about everything we do in my garage. If anyone has an interest, I'd be happy to post up a build thread on the R3 over this year and the next. Having a dyno in house garage (and wide open desert roads) lets me do some neat development that not a lot of folks get to see. :)

We run a pair of fast turbo Harleys as well, and I keep a turbo ZX10R in street trim for giggles... looking forward to how this bike develops! Again, I was a little stunned with the numbers this thing put up when I baselined it.... methinks someone has been in the ECU tuning on it before, or K&N filters have some new magical pixie dust in them now. ;) (2 pulls, one with what appears to be the stock exhaust on and one one with everything off right after the O2 sensor).

Anyway, Howdy! :)

Attachments

• 20200719_164410.jpg
    20200719_164410.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 52
Hello Spaz and welcome from Virginia. I'm not sure what you mean about some of us being upset that you want to wake the old girl up. Simple hot rod techniques will gain you double those numbers without a blower of any type.

Obviously you will tick us off if you don't include a build thread here. Otherwise, wake that sleepy girl up and get some real HP and TQ out of it. Those are stock numbers brother.

Down south in S.V. :) It will be fast once I can adapt a 17" wheel to the back... right now this 16" rim/tire speed limit is going to really hamstring me at sanctioned events. Good news is I'm running on open records, so that gives me the one event this year to shake it down. It'll be a stocker with a low-tech turbo build in 2 weeks, but next year it will get the proper build treatment (Carpenter top end, big air-to-water intercooler, etc)

Last edited:
Hello Spaz and welcome from Virginia. I'm not sure what you mean about some of us being upset that you want to wake the old girl up. Simple hot rod techniques will gain you double those numbers without a blower of any type.

Obviously you will tick us off if you don't include a build thread here. Otherwise, wake that sleepy girl up and get some real HP and TQ out of it. Those are stock numbers brother.
Haha, it's more going to be the small gas tank, pegs 6" from the rear axle, and clip-ons close to the lower tree that get some hate.... but I'm ok with that, and have a good stock of shark-proof/flame resistant boxers. :)

Very interested in how you will meet safety requirements as i also am wanting to run standing mile at Arkansas mile, but some of the requirements are a stumbling block, i have a touring model and a steering stabilizer and safety tieing oil plugs and oil cap along with some other items have stalled my getting to do this, welcome and curious to see what you do. Pictures gonna need alot of pictures, :cool:

Attachments

• 9029F6F8-8E55-4F96-9860-535EEBBDED7D.jpeg
    9029F6F8-8E55-4F96-9860-535EEBBDED7D.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 15
  • D42A78BA-7972-4357-A9AD-39D9C64D3AB8.jpeg
    D42A78BA-7972-4357-A9AD-39D9C64D3AB8.jpeg
    649.7 KB · Views: 15
Back