has anyone ever put our beloved monster R3 engine in another vehicle?

Problem solved to keep it terribly British old Chaps just put the R3 motor into a Reliant Robin three wheeler ,Top gears Clarkson's favourite car ,only trouble is the handling is a bit dodgy:whitstling::whitstling:
for a laugh Google, Reliant Robin crashes

Problem solved to keep it terribly British old Chaps just put the R3 motor into a Reliant Robin three wheeler ,Top gears Clarkson's favourite car ,only trouble is the handling is a bit dodgy:whitstling::whitstling:
for a laugh Google, Reliant Robin crashes
Sorry it should have read Reliant robin top gear episode :oops:

we were on a dual carriageway doing about 60mph near the top speed of a spitfire anyhoo with a roundabout coming up he went to brake and pedal goes straight to the floor ended up going right up on the roundabout with the hood flying off along with the doors we left it and walked to the pub.
Hardly think poor maintenance can be blamed on the car. I can remember (in my yoof) mates who had some REALLY dodgy cars - usually because they were inept mechanics or so financially strapped they would bodge everything. I can actually recall one who nicked some of his mums Sunflower oil to top up the brake lines.

One was the BondBug Owners Club Secretary. I point blank refused to ride in his cars/trikes (whatever). Was this in Scotland? - maybe it was simply reacting to an excess of Haggis.

Apart from REVERSE - A problem. If a Rocket can destroy its gears in a relatively light frame - I hate to think what will happen if it has to haul a Spitfire about.

It,s funny some people think a R3 on song sounds a bit like a spitfire (the RR V12 Merlin one) in Oz some of those Triumph Heralds snuck in with the other English cars and a few spitfires as well,they mostly were driven by ponces in corduroy trousers and polar necked skivvies along with the scooter brigade:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hey! My Mum dressed me in corduroy trousers and skivvies well before the bloody Wiggles stole my 'look'.:(:mad:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
I was about 5-8 year old at the time though!:D:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Hey! My Mum dressed me in corduroy trousers and skivvies well before the bloody Wiggles stole my 'look'.:(:mad:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
I was about 5-8 year old at the time though!:D:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Never had a skivvie or any corduroy clothes either ,but I did have a fairly flash grey safari suit in the 70s,and a great Mullet hair cut , :sneaky::sneaky:

Never had a skivvie or any corduroy clothes either ,but I did have a fairly flash grey safari suit in the 70s,and a great Mullet hair cut , :sneaky::sneaky:

Ken or is that really Bob Downe ;):p:D:roll:

Humiliating to admit, but I once had a hand-me-down Hong Kong tailored pale blue safari suit my frugal old man made me pay him for - in 1981.:sick: I wore it ONLY once in mid winter 8*C Canberra for a telephone interview at work, after-all, it was for a job in the tropics!:confused::(.

But I did win the job to move to Darwin NT when 21 and was paid vehicle allowance, a weeks paid leave and travel allowance to drive my own car the 4000km to get there, with 3 weeks hotel accommodation when I got there. It ended up in an Op Shop skip, should have kept it for luck but things worked out pretty good anyway.:D Thank God I never had a 'Mullet' too.:laugh::laugh:

Mullet-Haircut-for-Men13.jpg

Last edited:
Used to own a '67 mrk II spitfire.
One of the most fun cars I have ever owned...Even with that tiny little engine.

A blast to drive.

Back