has anyone ever put our beloved monster R3 engine in another vehicle?

Send that motor to Lush or Carpenter, THEN put it in the spitfire :) 9k and 230hp should just about do that Spitfire right lol.

Or a small block for Ford 260 cubic inch ,and have something like the Sunbeam Alpine Tiger like Maxwell smarts Car ,a poor mans Shelby Cobra :inlove no replacement for displacement:cool::cool:

I will admit, I toy with the idea of a built R3 motor in a classic mini cooper it would be so rediculously fun

This is the reason I bought my Rocket, it has been on the drawing board since 2005. You will all be the first to see it if I ever get 'er done. I think I like the bike too much to chop it up now.. but could change at any time, especially given the way it has been running lately :eek:

I recently purchased a winter project and was going to ask if anyone has put the R3 engine in another frame (Triumph of course) I am considering my R3T as a donor to its older cousin a 71 Spitfire MkIV , (and getting a 2016 R3T) anyone know of anyone doing this?
2015-09-19 16.00.34.jpg
Ive been thinking a golf cart would be fun LOL

Reverse gear is the main snag I can see with putting a R3 engine in a car. I know one can get reverse boxes designed for use in motorcycle engined cars, but I'm not sure if anyone makes one strong enough for the R3 engine (not being known for their lack of torque after all.)

Reverse gear is the main snag I can see with putting a R3 engine in a car. I know one can get reverse boxes designed for use in motorcycle engined cars, but I'm not sure if anyone makes one strong enough for the R3 engine (not being known for their lack of torque after all.)

If you building a rear wheel drive R3 powered car it would be relatively easy to run the transmission through a 2nd gear box with reverse and overdrive an early 5speed Toyota Celica box would be strong enough
in "the old" days we did a few 2nd gearbox(joey box") conversions on underpowered petrol trucks to give more gear ratios

Back