Guess again Cams and tensioner

Well folks cam cover gasket is installed and cam cover. No problems what so ever. Placed the cam gasket on the bike. Used silicon on the four half rounds and just a few drops of superglue along the sides to hold gasket in place. Did not need any super glue on spark plug rings. Much to my surprize a really nice fit. Paid real close attention to front of the gasket. The area right after the half rounds to and around the corners. The fit was very much tight to my surprize. Then we took the cam cover and gently brought it into position by throttle body side. Throttle bodys are off the bike. No hiccups at all. Entered with the cam cover at a slight angle to clear the cam sprockets and it just slid right on in with no disturbance to the gasket. Ran my finger all the way around gasket to insure that seal lip was close to the edge of the motor. Then we gently Installed new seals and made sure that all nine bolts were finger tight. Checked location of gasket again. Then we followed the manual and only torque the bolts down to 6 NM. Went back over torque sequence again at 6NM. Found about three bolts that were not at 6NM. Then we went in sequence at 8 NM. Repeated sequence again and found four that were not at 8NM. Then we torqued in sequence again at 12 NM. Checked and found two bolts that were not at 12 NM. Final check all bolts at 12 NM and gasket did not move. This procedure took almost a hour and a half to complete. Like I stated early hate leaks of any kind. Try to find a shop that will take that much interest and time just to install a cam cover. GOOD LUCK with that. Got a real good feeling that when I start her up will not have any leaks. Got a real good feeling after about 5,000 miles and plus will still not find any leaks. Just one of those things were time and patience plus common sense may make a big difference. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:;););););););););)

Well folks cam cover gasket is installed and cam cover. No problems what so ever. Placed the cam gasket on the bike. Used silicon on the four half rounds and just a few drops of superglue along the sides to hold gasket in place. Did not need any super glue on spark plug rings. Much to my surprize a really nice fit. Paid real close attention to front of the gasket. The area right after the half rounds to and around the corners. The fit was very much tight to my surprize. Then we took the cam cover and gently brought it into position by throttle body side. Throttle bodys are off the bike. No hiccups at all. Entered with the cam cover at a slight angle to clear the cam sprockets and it just slid right on in with no disturbance to the gasket. Ran my finger all the way around gasket to insure that seal lip was close to the edge of the motor. Then we gently Installed new seals and made sure that all nine bolts were finger tight. Checked location of gasket again. Then we followed the manual and only torque the bolts down to 6 NM. Went back over torque sequence again at 6NM. Found about three bolts that were not at 6NM. Then we went in sequence at 8 NM. Repeated sequence again and found four that were not at 8NM. Then we torqued in sequence again at 12 NM. Checked and found two bolts that were not at 12 NM. Final check all bolts at 12 NM and gasket did not move. This procedure took almost a hour and a half to complete. Like I stated early hate leaks of any kind. Try to find a shop that will take that much interest and time just to install a cam cover. GOOD LUCK with that. Got a real good feeling that when I start her up will not have any leaks. Got a real good feeling after about 5,000 miles and plus will still not find any leaks. Just one of those things were time and patience plus common sense may make a big difference. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:;););););););););)
Good job done mate , thanks for the walk thru . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good job done mate , thanks for the walk thru . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Figured with all the problems people are having with this that it deserved a detailed and very in depth post. For the life of me if it leaks after about 5,000 or so miles then I will give up.

Being somewhat lazy I would much rather do it right than twice. I have an idea that the first time that gasket is compressed it's crucial to do it correctly (as you have). I believe from now on you can practically throw the cover on from across the room and it will seal. My 05' has over 75,000 miles on it and I've had the cover off several times. Still using the original gasket and I don't even put the sealer on the half rounds. Just plonk it on and tighten it down evenly. No leaky.

Figured with all the problems people are having with this that it deserved a detailed and very in depth post. For the life of me if it leaks after about 5,000 or so miles then I will give up.
Well if it does leak , at least you can be certain that your workshop practise was correct so it would be caused by warps or fails . I don't think it's gonna leak tho , keep us posted ! :thumbsup:

Took the cam cover to work and had a ace machinist check the cover for any warping prior to installment. ;););););););) Nothing left to the imagination. If it leaks after a couple thousand miles then it means Truimph is $ucking up and not offering a quality gasket that will work.

Took the cam cover to work and had a ace machinist check the cover for any warping prior to installment. ;););););););) Nothing left to the imagination. If it leaks after a couple thousand miles then it means Truimph is $ucking up and not offering a quality gasket that will work.
It WILL NOT LEAK ! :)

Understand on the older models of the Rocket the gasket leaking was not a problem. On the newer models it has become a issue. I really hate leaks of any kind on a bike. Did my best only time and a few miles will tell if installation is a problem or if Truimph is done screwed us with a inferior product.

Back