Guess again Cams and tensioner

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
Been a interesting day. Got out early and rolled the engine over 4 times and guess what? Cams were not aligned at all. No way to fit triumphs tool in.Holes were out. Took cam tensioner out realigned the cams and this time placed all the slack from cam chain on the tensioner side. Cycled the engine four times and guess what? Tool slid right on in. All marks and arrows are where they are suppose to be and holes line up and tool slides right on in. Cycled engine I do not know how many times double checking. Rechecked valve clearance and good to go. Rechecked clearance on tensioner and good to go. Now about the cam cover gasket. After looking at the gasket and double checking everything including the manual. There is no way in @ell it goes on the cam cover. Goes on the bike then slide the cam cover on. I was dead wrong when I posted place it on the cam cover. Read where other folks suggested the same and just by design you can tell that aint right. Do not have it on yet but made several dry runs getting used to sliding the cam cover in place. Looks to me the corners are going to be a %itch to keep in proper alignment so the super glue will be spotted on in those areas along with the infamous spark plug seals. This is why I gave myself six days to accomplish this job. Taking my time double checking everything. Have made a few mistakes but fixed it before it became a problem. Really enjoying the #ell out of it. After the cam cover comes the throttle bodys being installed back on the bike. After doing a few dry runs with the cam cover can now understand why the manual recommends removing throttle bodys. I feel as if I am starting all over again. Can work on a Harley half drunk and not even worry about it because we know how it works. The Rocket is a learning curve for sure but I believe we can get there from here, ;);););););););););)

I thought at first that truimph may have changed manufactures on the cam gasket. Now I am starting to think that it is not so much the gasket but the way it is installed. #amned and determine to get it right. Hate leaks of any kind. ;);););););) Real glad I went back and checked out the cams and alignment.:cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

How many miles on the engine and why did you rebuild

I did a rebuild because I had rounded doggears and bad selector forks.

As I stripped the entire engine I decided on a full rebuild.
  • Stage 3 Head Port and Polish and full.valve train
  • Custom ground new profile cams
  • 10:5.1 Hi Compression Forged Alloy JE Pistons
  • Undercut Gears and New Selector Forks
  • Barnette Clutch
  • Reband Full Performance Exhaust
  • Body work and Customisation.
I did the rebuild at 51500km and now the bike has 54500km

Bike holding.steady 215psi - 220psi - 215psi compression. Not a single leak.

Last edited:
@scot in exile - Thank you for that. I went back in looked, and that's the stuff that makes this site great.

I did a little editing for clarity kind sir, and ask you to go back and look at to see if I changed anything that materially departs from your excellent work.

Back