Good God Gerdy - Valve adj. $232

HeR3tic

Living Legend
No, I wouldn't pay that!!!

My 10k valve adjustment was due, and since the dealer was fixing the :(beer can rattle, I agreed that the valve adjustment could be done. Well, the top was off and it was just sitting there for 3 weeks, why not? Inflation can be huge, even if the dollar has sunk to an all time low, but 2.8 hours to slip a feeler gage in and out. I know, that's as clear as mud:D I was being charged for the entire alloted time but thankfully I'd been quoted for only an hour, 2 weeks before. Maybe I look too humble? Point is: just for a valve adjustment plan on the equivalent of one day's paycheck.

I wouldn't know. Though I consider differently. I'd not thought it necessary to pull the cams to remove the chain. Really, I have 0 insight. Regardless: The top was off during the surgical procedure. The hour I paid for was fair; even if I could have done 12 values in 10 minutes. I mean, it was already laid wide-open :) And ascertaining any need for a shim was 10 minutes worth. Now, had it been necessary to add shims then more time would have been necessary. But! If checking valves at this stage only require 10 minutes then why charge for an hour. I'm most happy to have the beast home again, and after all it's only money.

Paying for time spent when no time is expended, is like paying for a yard mowing during a drought.

Last edited:
A days pay? Man I need a job where you work. That's like $29.00, must be nice to have money.

Ive been working in this field for nearly 35 years, you'd think I be worth twice that won't you:D
It's mighty **** x-spensive, to get a valve adjustment chek, at 10k when in fact most all RIII don't need any adjustment, I wager to say far less than 1%. Mine was diagnosed as right-on at 10k

If I kiss ass at a rate of $58/hour would it be right if you only got 10 minutes worth and charged for an hour :D

Dammit...I momentarily forgot, its 80$ per hours at the dealership :(

Last edited:
i am a technition at a auto dealership and ill spair you the heart ache of mentioning our door rate. but i do apreciate flatrate as that is how i am payed. in this case i agree with some time being charged even if its already open as that is something above and beyond. with the original repair if its not noted in the manual you may not check the clearances. now for a half hour- hour id go for it. as you have to rotate the engine to get all clearances checked it could possable take 15 mins. now here is my complaint, i bought my rocket brand new for 14,600 out the door two weeks later i need my 500 done. just oil change and there (visual inspection) was quoted 220 bucks. my triumph shop gets 50 bucks a gallon for that moble one that triumph recomends. witch i looked into is only available in the UK market so thats why you can only buy it at the trumpet dealer. they buy it and ship it over here, crooks i say! so i used there parts and did the service myself. im probably more qualified to do the work myself anyhow. if an oil change is 220 bucks i am scared to death to drive this thing in fear of ever having to have them do the valve check to preserve my warranty. i dont think i could afford it

I wouldn't know. Though I consider differently. I'd not thought it necessary to pull the cams to remove the chain. Really, I have 0 insight. Regardless: The top was off during the surgical procedure. The hour I paid for was fair; even if I could have done 12 values in 10 minutes. I mean, it was already laid wide-open :) And ascertaining any need for a shim was 10 minutes worth. Now, had it been necessary to add shims then more time would have been necessary. But! If checking valves at this stage only require 10 minutes then why charge for an hour. I'm most happy to have the beast home again, and after all it's only money.

Paying for time spent when no time is expended, is like paying for a yard mowing during a drought.

Rocky,

Glad the Beast is back home. Enjoy the rest of the riding season, "Rattle Free".

i am a technition at a auto dealership and ill spair you the heart ache of mentioning our door rate. but i do apreciate flatrate as that is how i am payed. in this case i agree with some time being charged even if its already open as that is something above and beyond. with the original repair if its not noted in the manual you may not check the clearances. now for a half hour- hour id go for it. as you have to rotate the engine to get all clearances checked it could possable take 15 mins. now here is my complaint, i bought my rocket brand new for 14,600 out the door two weeks later i need my 500 done. just oil change and there (visual inspection) was quoted 220 bucks. my triumph shop gets 50 bucks a gallon for that moble one that triumph recomends. witch i looked into is only available in the UK market so thats why you can only buy it at the trumpet dealer. they buy it and ship it over here, crooks i say! so i used there parts and did the service myself. im probably more qualified to do the work myself anyhow. if an oil change is 220 bucks i am scared to death to drive this thing in fear of ever having to have them do the valve check to preserve my warranty. i dont think i could afford it

I'll do the 'Oh! my God thing'......The labor rate in our commercial truck shop is $85.00 per hour with an hour minimum and if they are working on a motorhome, it's 95 bucks. I do my own oil changes, quite a few around here do. I use NAPA filters and Amsoil 20-50 Jaso MA. The used oil winds up in my lawnmower before it's recycled. By the way, Jaso stands for..Japanese Automotive Standards Organization. MA is Motorcycle Applicable.

You are as bad as I am.

I make it a rule to not take any vehicle to someone who can't spell their own job title...

You are getting as bad as I am about spelling. I've been getting numb lately but that is a blatant one for sure. Pretty bad when you can't spell your own classification.:):) That isn't the only one.....

I pulled into the drive-in-teller at the bank yesterday and looked up at the clearance sign on the canopy that read...Clearence. I informed the manager that it was spelled wrong and he replied.."Isn't that the way it's spelled...." I make sure to check my receipts now.:eek:

Last edited:
Back