Good EarPlugs - On offer

I've tried several of the 3-M with the conical ones being the foamies that I believe Boog was referencing.

My daughter gave me a pair of these that the AF was experimenting with. I like them because they are easy to insert and have 32db noise reduction.

3-M E-A-R ear plugs | eBay

She also gave me a set of these to try. I liked them because they had good noise reduction and I didn't have to put them in my pocket whenever I stopped. Of course I forgot to insert them before heading down the road one day and they flew off from around my neck. The problem is I don't need a box of 100 for $50. They are available without the cord for less.

3M 318-1001 E-A-R Push-Ins Corded Ear Plugs 100/Box * Free US Shipping * 10080529180015 | eBay

As Scot-in-Exile has recommended, the best ones are custom made. Whenever I attended the Seattle Motorcycle Show they one of the vendors fitted them right there.

Just poorly made try another set, but then again if you did not specify for a MCthey are probably sticking out of your lugs a wee bit and rubbing on the helmet
Nope - it is (I think) because the helmet squishes my outer ear and changes the shape of the inner canal a bit. So they'd need to be remoulded with me wearing a lid.
Mine were made up by EAR-Inc's boss at the IWA Gun Fair. I was exhibiting there too. He made mine good and deep (.50BMG deep).

Don't get me wrong - Custom fit will be better. But I also feel that for folk who experience altitude (therefore pressure) variation the occluding material may need to be more flexible. My commute to work includes over 300m of vertical difference. A run to the coast 700m.

Interesting, but I see the foam tips are what really block the sound while the metal is like putting a cup to a door to listen. I don’t see the “bone conduction” on this one though since the foam tips are holding the metal suspended in the ear canal.

Of course, at rocket speeds the air friction will heat up that metal forming a plasma and could become uncomfortable. Just sayin’. What, you go the speed limit on yours?

DF3C8B7B-80C6-45FD-B548-445271DA263B.jpeg

="Navigator, post: 593515, member: 2933"]I've tried several of the 3-M with the conical ones being the foamies that I believe Boog was referencing.

My daughter gave me a pair of these that the AF was experimenting with. I like them because they are easy to insert and have 32db noise reduction.

3-M E-A-R ear plugs | eBay

She also gave me a set of these to try. I liked them because they had good noise reduction and I didn't have to put them in my pocket whenever I stopped. Of course I forgot to insert them before heading down the road one day and they flew off from around my neck. The problem is I don't need a box of 100 for $50. They are available without the cord for less.

3M 318-1001 E-A-R Push-Ins Corded Ear Plugs 100/Box * Free US Shipping * 10080529180015 | eBay

As Scot-in-Exile has recommended, the best ones are custom made. Whenever I attended the Seattle Motorcycle Show they one of the vendors fitted them right there.[/QUOTE]

Here’s a pic of the ear plugs Alicia (Navigator’s daughter) recommended years ago. It was the first time Mike and I were taking a long bike trip together and Mike’s wife warned me of his snoring They are so comfortable I can sleep all night with them. I can’t even hear my Bulldog snoring when she’s at the foot of the bed. I worked heavy industry shift work for 17 years and my afternoon nappies were very important. I bought a box of 100 from the Ear Plug Store and given many out to fellow riders to try when the subject came up. When I asked our safety coordinator to bring them into the mill, she investigated it and said she couldn’t because they were TOO quieting, that a certain level of noise was desirable around heavy machinery, etc. I recommend them strongly from 15 (?) years of use.

Attachments

• A6D8D0E1-C88F-4FF9-B2EB-0CB804C4A131.jpeg
    A6D8D0E1-C88F-4FF9-B2EB-0CB804C4A131.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
The Isolates work great. You get the same ear canal seal, both sides, every time. I put them back in their bag and hang then on the bike or a bag. Have not lost them yet. Each set of plugs lasts a long time. The foam is closed cell to they don't pick up dirt and can be rinsed or cleaned with soapy water.

Last edited:
The foam is closed cell to they don't pick up dirt and can be rinsed or cleaned with soapy water.
Don't soak them. They will degrade faster. Still takes months.

Interesting, but I see the foam tips are what really block the sound while the metal is like putting a cup to a door to listen. I don’t see the “bone conduction” on this one though since the foam tips are holding the metal suspended in the ear canal.

Bone conduction involves the whole cranium (in fact the whole skeletal frame) - The foam obdurates the ear canal. It just stops sound entering the very small (though specifically sensitive) conduit.

The metal bit - Well I sort of see what Flares Audio say about sound energy being absorbed but not transmitted - though I don't fully understand why. I can however say that different metals in the spigot does make a difference - whether this is material density or somehow related to harmonics - dunno. Twixt Aluminium and Titanium - I prefer the Titanium - seems to take out more high frequency: but the difference IS marginal.

I use the MiNi sizes. I made up a full size spigot in ali' but could not get comfy with it.

I've used and liked these for years. They are a silicone putty so mold to all ear shapes. Eventually they get dirty so I just then throw them out...cheap enough.

9274aabc-cfbc-4001-be70-653602967af9_1.72e92cefd1256b2fd40705cbe1c051e8.jpeg

After having gone through several ear plug types and never being happy... this is exactly what I started using. For my small ear canals... I tear one in half and it has worked great! The best ear plugs... are the one's you'll use... :thumbsup:
-MIG

Don't soak them. They will degrade faster. Still takes months.

Bone conduction involves the whole cranium (in fact the whole skeletal frame) - The foam obdurates the ear canal. It just stops sound entering the very small (though specifically sensitive) conduit.

The metal bit - Well I sort of see what Flares Audio say about sound energy being absorbed but not transmitted - though I don't fully understand why. I can however say that different metals in the spigot does make a difference - whether this is material density or somehow related to harmonics - dunno. Twixt Aluminium and Titanium - I prefer the Titanium - seems to take out more high frequency: but the difference IS marginal.

I use the MiNi sizes. I made up a full size spigot in ali' but could not get comfy with it.

Junk science. That's how you say that babe. The working feature here is a good plug material available in different sizes and an insertion and retrieving base that looks kool and is expensive.

Back