Mine makes a louder clunk since I (had to) change the detent spring. It was always quite "snick-y" before. Now a definite "clunk" and notably more lever resistance. Triumph may have made that spring a bit stiffer.

Mine clunks into first and down shifting clunks in all gears. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O Can hit her hard and no problems finding gears. Kind of figured the bike was assembled on a Wednesday vice a Monday or Friday:whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I don't do a lot of downshifting from higher speeds. It definately doesn't like being put into 2nd and 1st in particular until you are almost stopped. Mine is pretty quiet, but it has a lot to do with how the clutch is adjusted. There is a sweet spot you have to find. I also found if I use the heel shifter it seem less noticable and smoother.

To keep it in perspective, I had a guy who owns a Victory take mine for a ride. He thought it shifted nicer than his Victory and he thought the front brakes were awesome. Sometimes I think that we think we are worse off than other bikes, when actually, we are not. I swapped bikes with a Kawasaki rider once for a short ride as I had offered to let him ride my bike. What a horrible ride (I guess I was spoiled). Shakey and gutless. When I went to stop at a turn, it felt like I didn't have any brakes at all...it was scary. The grass always looks greener until you ride another bike, then you realize how good you have in spite of a few shortcomings and tradeoffs.

Last edited:
I don't do a lot of downshifting from higher speeds. It definately doesn't like being put into 2nd and 1st in particular until you are almost stopped. Mine is pretty quiet, but it has a lot to do with how the clutch is adjusted. There is a sweet spot you have to find. I also found if I use the heel shifter it seem less noticable and smoother.

To keep it in perspective, I had a guy who owns a Victory take mine for a ride. He thought it shifted nicer than his Victory and he thought the front brakes were awesome. Sometimes I think that we think we are worse off than other bikes, when actually, we are not. I swapped bikes with a Kawasaki rider once for a short ride as I had offered to let him ride my bike. What a horrible ride (I guess I was spoiled). Shakey and gutless. When I went to stop at a turn, it felt like I didn't have any brakes at all...it was scary. The grass always looks greener until you ride another bike, then you realize how good you have in spite of a few shortcomings and tradeoffs.

My suzuki m90 sounded like you were shifting a tractor. The rocket is 10x smoother

CLUNK is a bit objective, it depends what you have owned before. If you got off a shovel head Harley the R3 is smooth as butter, if you got off a GSXR600 they clunk. You are in FNQ I strongly suggest using an oil with the second number being 50. EG 15/50. Full synthetic. Some customers of mine who are up north in the heat even use a 15/60 ( Pilberra, Newman etc).

Hey guys a quick question.. Is it normal to have a loud clunk when changing gears? Does it make a difference if you use thicker oil? Can you tighten clutch to make a difference . Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Clunk is normal. The way to tell your oil isn't up to the task or is old and needs to be changed is the feel, if it feels hard to shift, super notchy, or starts missing shifts, it's time to change oil regardless of mileage. If this occurs before 3,000 miles, change oil types.

Rotella T6 will last about 4K before it needs changing.

Rotella T5 will last about 2k before it needs changing.

Mobile 1/Castrol full synthetic will last around 3-5k depending on riding style.

Amsoil - depends which you use, but, you'll know before the 10k interval that it's time based on lever feel/function.

Last edited:
Back