Gas Tank Cap Locked Solid

Jamie

Living Legend
Don't forget to lube the lock once in a while. I had to borrow a Loctite spray at a gas station to unlock it, after (mistakenly) trying to forecefully turn the ignition key into it, at the risk of bending --if not breaking -- it. Same goes for the ignition/steering slot.

2 cents-worth: Re-lube at least after every bike wash, which I had forgotten

A Little Lube

Jamie........ Thanks for the heads-up. It's something I never would have thought about doing. Like an old Fram oil filter commercial where the mechanic says, " You can pay me now....... or you can pay me later".

Actually I've made a rule that if the bike gets wet I'll have to sell it. Something about not liking the kind of grease that has the word "Elbow" in front of it.

For dinner tonight I'm going to have Swiss cheese .....just in your honor! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Jamie! As I'm writing this my wife is squirting some graphite lock spray as she was directed.........NOT! I'll have to do that for sure. My wife suggested as long as I have the spray out why don't i hit all the locks,....thanks sweety!;)

Thanks Pianoman for the humor. Funny AND you play piano,...how kewl is that..:)

Be careful what lubrication you use !

Be very careful what oil or lubrication you put into your ignition cylinder. (As as old GM service manager) We had a issue with ignition lock cylinders binding. Customers first repair was to spray WD40 or something to that affect into the ignition.
This washed the thicker grease away in the tumblers and caused them to bind.
I know GM had a service bulletin with a part number for the grease. I'll do more research and post it.
Just wanted to throw this out before everyone starts lubing there Rocket tonight;)

Be very careful what oil or lubrication you put into your ignition cylinder. (As as old GM service manager) We had a issue with ignition lock cylinders binding. Customers first repair was to spray WD40 or something to that affect into the ignition.
This washed the thicker grease away in the tumblers and caused them to bind.
I know GM had a service bulletin with a part number for the grease. I'll do more research and post it.
Just wanted to throw this out before everyone starts lubing there Rocket tonight;)

LOL!! thanks. I was thinking lithium grease.

And the GM P/N 12371287 called GM Synthetic Lube Paste w/Teflon.
I'm sure there is a substitute out there.
Just telling from my experiences dealing with ignitions binding.
P.S. Sometime the problem was due to a aftermarket key or a worn out key. But spraying the ignition with the wrong lube created the cylinder to fail.

Back