Gas Cap Problem?

Fatty

Standard Bore
Ride
2013 Rocket III Touring
I have a 2013 Rocket 3 touring, about a month ago, I was down to 1/8 tank and filled up, When I left the gas station, I slowed down to turn and the engine stalled, I restarted and went on no problems at all. I have almost 750 miles on it without a problem since, and today I was down to almost completely empty, filled up, and it was stalling at every time I would let off the gas at all, even when going at steady throttle. I loosed the gas cap, and the problem went away. Then it happened one more time after I came down a large hill, where I was using the engine as a brake. Does the cap have a breather built into it? Should it? Would getting gas make that quick of a difference?
I should mention, I had stock pipes on it the first time it happened, and now have D&D pipes on it, seems to be worse with the new pipes.

It could be a coincidence that this happened these times when fueling. what map are you running, you may have a loose coil connector some have to make them tighter. Just a couple ideas

I ran my 06 out of fuel once due to the panic of going to run out it coughed a few times I didn't go to the nearest gas station. Ended up pushing about ¼ of a mile.

But no problems after. Check your fuel filter for crap that might be causing a blockage.

Happened to my 1100 Virago big flakes of paint and running on one cylinder. Got the carb rebuilt but still had problem. Went back to the shop and asked if they replaced it filter and they hadn't. Ordered a new one So checked it myself and I could see the paint flakes.

Hello @Fatty I have had this issue myself on my 2014 R3T. My issue happened every time I fueled the bike in hot weather. Every time. I was causing the problem without knowing it. I was fueling the tank to the top, the very top not just to the bar. Evidently, this causes a vapor lock of some sort and the engine dies. On your next fill up, do not fill as much during the hot weather and see if this simple fix corrects your issue like it did mine. I have repeated my issue this summer too, just to see if it was still there and it is. It has never happened when it is cold.

And 2 more cents, don't let it run down so low if you can help it.
Maybe a wives tale, but sucking up crud at bottom of tank is not good.

Do you have the carbon filled canister installed on the bike? It maybe bad from being saturated with fuel (especially if over filling) and creating a vacuum in the tank. Do not fill tank above metal lip inside tank. If you have the canister, remove it.

I had a BMW R1100Gt that would vapor lock if you filled it all the way. I suspect there was a pinhole vent or something that was clogged. I just left the cap open for the first 20 miles or so after I filled up. That bike had more stupid design flaws than a Yugo.

Hello @Fatty I have had this issue myself on my 2014 R3T. My issue happened every time I fueled the bike in hot weather. Every time. I was causing the problem without knowing it. I was fueling the tank to the top, the very top not just to the bar. Evidently, this causes a vapor lock of some sort and the engine dies. On your next fill up, do not fill as much during the hot weather and see if this simple fix corrects your issue like it did mine. I have repeated my issue this summer too, just to see if it was still there and it is. It has never happened when it is cold.

plus one on this do not go over the plate when fueling up

Back